Percy - Hearth's Hope

Over by the fire, Hestia huddled in her robes, gently rocking back and forth. Percy turned to Rachel, gesturing for her to follow. 

"Come on," he said. "I want you to meet someone."

They approached the goddess and sat beside her. 

Percy spoke softly, "Lady Hestia."

"Hello, Percy Jackson," Hestia murmured. "It's getting colder. Harder to keep the fire going."

"I know," Percy replied, his voice tinged with concern. "The Titans are near."

Hestia's gaze shifted to Rachel. "Hello, my dear. You've come to our hearth at last."

Rachel blinked in surprise. "You've been expecting me?"

Hestia extended her hands, and the coals in the fire glowed brighter. Percy watched as images appeared in the flames: his mother, Paul, and himself sharing Thanksgiving dinner; scenes of his friends and him around the campfire at Camp Half-Blood, singing songs and roasting marshmallows; and Rachel and him driving along the beach in Paul's Prius.

Percy wasn't sure if Rachel saw the same images, but he noticed the tension in her shoulders at ease. The warmth of the fire seemed to envelop her.

"To claim your place at the hearth," Hestia said gently, "you must let go of your distractions. It is the only way you will survive."

Rachel nodded slowly. "I... I understand."

"Wait," Percy interjected, confusion evident in his voice. "What is she talking about?"

Rachel took a shaky breath before responding. "Percy, when I came here... I thought I was coming for you. But I wasn't. You and me..." She shook her head, struggling to find the right words.

"Wait. Now I'm a distraction? Is this because I'm 'not the hero' or whatever?"

Rachel hesitated. "I'm not sure I can put it into words. I was drawn to you because you opened the door to all of this." She gestured at the throne room around them. "I needed to understand my true sight. But you and me, that wasn't part of it. Our fates aren't intertwined. I think you've always known that, deep down."

Percy stared at her, realization dawning. He wasn't the best at understanding girls, but he was sure Rachel had just ended whatever they had, even though they had never officially been together.

"So... what," he said, his voice tinged with frustration. "Thanks for bringing me to Olympus. See ya. Is that what you're saying?"

Rachel stared into the fire, unable to meet his gaze.

"Percy Jackson," Hestia intervened softly. "Rachel has told you all she can. Her moment is coming, but your decision is approaching even more rapidly. Are you prepared?"

Percy wanted to argue and say that he wasn't even close to prepared. His eyes drifted to Pandora's jar, and for the first time, he felt an urge to open it. Hope seemed almost useless to him at that moment. So many of his friends were dead. Rachel was cutting ties with him. Annabeth was angry with him. His parents were asleep in the streets while a monster army surrounded the building. Olympus was on the verge of collapse, and he had seen many cruel things the gods had done: Zeus destroying Maria di Angelo, Hades cursing the last Oracle, and Hermes turning his back on Luke even when he knew his son would become evil.

Surrender, Prometheus's voice whispered in his ear. Otherwise, your home will be destroyed. Your precious camp will burn.

But then Percy looked at Hestia. Her red eyes glowed warmly, and he remembered the images he'd seen in her hearth—friends and family, everyone he cared about. He recalled something Chris Rodriguez had said: There's no point defending camp if you guys die. All our friends are here. And Nico, standing up to his father, Hades: If Olympus falls, your palace's safety doesn't matter.