Chapter 4 Shopping at Gilmores

"And you saw it?" Uriel asked, "What did this?"

"The beast is a blue dragon, sire. Only a few of us managed to escape." Krieg informs him.

"My Gods. Allura, you've dealt with such creatures in the past. How do we fight it?" Uriel asked the mage.

"Oh, that was a red dragon, years ago." She says looking at Rafael, who looks away. "But to my experience, dragons are fiercely intelligent, calculating creatures. Their machinations run deep."

Just then, the doors opens revealing Sir Fince entering the room. Rafael curled his lip not wanting to have to deal with him. Especially since he isn't in the mood already. "Ah, Sir Fince finally joins us. I hope this crisis hasn't kept you from your skulking." Krieg teased.

Sir Fince frowns at him, "I've been gathering intelligence we sorely lack. Seems your band of fools have gone missing. Safe to say you've sent Vox Machina to their doom?" he finishes with a smirk.

Rafael lips curled deeper while he clenched a fist holding back the urge to send a bolt of lighting after that imperious blue bark sniffer. 

"Doom? We don't know the meaning of the word." 

Rafael looks forward seeing Vox Machina appearing in front of them. A rush of relief swept through his whole body seeing them again. 

"Sovereign, hold on to your god damn crown. We've discovered that the monster is none other than a blue dragon!" Scanlan says dramatically.

"We know." the council says in unison.

"Did you kill it?" Allura asked.

"I wouldn't say "kill," really." Keyleth states with a nervous chuckle.

"We're still kind of working on that part." Pike joined.

"But, it is wounded thanks to Lydie." Axel says gesturing to Lydie.

Rafael looks at Lydie with surprise. Lydie looks at Lady Allura who nods in acknowledgement then at Rafael. The image of his wife flash before him once more. Krieg laughs, "I can't believe you made it out alive. How did you survive?" 

"Mm, trade secrets, I'm afraid, Kriegy." Scanlan tells him. Percy was about to speak when Lydie elbows him in the side causing him to keel over in pain. 

"As the bard said. Traded secrets." Lydie says, patting Percy back. Percy growls in response. Scanlan smiles and gives Lydie a thumbs up. Lydie winks while folding her arms. " Wait. How did we survive that?" Grog asks out loud.

Vex begins to grunt softly, Axel turns to her as she gazes up at Fince. "These blabbering fools are useless, sire. Perhaps if we made an offering to the dragon. Gold in exchange for peace?"

"Why don't we shake its hand and offer it a f*cking pint while we're at it?" Vax says sarcastically.

"I mean seriously, is that the best option you guys have?" Axel joined.

"A dragon cannot be bartered with. If it desires Emon's destruction, it will not relent." Vex spoke up.

"You heard her, sire. You know what must be done." Krieg says to Uriel in a serious tone.

"But what if it attacks the city? We'd be sitting ducks." Lady Kima argued.

Uriel sharply turns to her, "What would you have me do? Let it burn more farmland, slaughter more innocents? No. We will bring the fight to it on our terms. General, you may move our soldiers at dawn."

"But sire, you know as..."

"I have made my decision, Lady Kima." Uriel said with a cold tone towards the dwarf. "This council is adjourned." he says standing up and exiting the throne room.