Chapter 18 Night of the Undead

Vox Machina walked through the abandoned streets. Percy supported his sister, the latter of the siblings frowned and looked around in suspicion. Lydie also felt like something was off. Like a wave of magical energy swirling in the air like clouds of smoke. 

"The rebels should be gathering." he informs the others. "If they saw the signal."

Keyleth smiles with pride as she looks at the others, "Believe me, they saw it." Lydie said, nudging Keyleth's arm.

"Maybe we shouldn't have announced ourselves with such... flair." Vex spoke up.

"Well, we wanted the people to know the resistance is still alive, right?" Keyleth asks her. 

"What's that?" Axel points finding something approaching them, the others readied themselves, until they saw a familiar black cat approaching them. 

"It's Fen!" Lydie exclaimed running up towards the animal. She then kneels down and turns Fenrir into his original form which startles Cassandra a bit. 

"Is that a dire wolf?" she asks.

"Oh, I almost forgot." Lydie says, "Cassandra this is Fenrir, Fenrir, this is Cassandra, Percy's younger sister." 

Just then Lydie turns as she hears someone sprint down the street, she turns to find Scanlan approaching them. Horror etched on his face. 

"Ay, oh! Scanlan, oh, you f*ckin' missed it! I got arrowed a bunch, I had two voices in my throat, I stabbed a stupid tongue in the face." Grog lists off with a smile, "Oh, sh*t. Hey, are you even listening to me?"

"There's a hor...hor... there's a hor..." he pants, unable to form a sentence. 

"Yeah, not really the time for one of your whorehouse stories." Vex informs him.

"Take you time Scanlan, deep breaths." Axel said trying to calm down the gnome, "Now, what were you saying?" 

"There's a horde of undead!" he shouts, turning back. Emerging from the shadows were rotting bodies and skeletons of undead as they slowly limp towards them. 

"Oh! Horde. Got it." Vax says aloud as the horde seemed endless as they flooded onto the very streets.

Everything that has ever died in the city seemed to have been sparked back to life. Standing to their feet and moving, hungering for flesh. Vox machina steps back in shock as the zombies limp towards them further.

"Holy shit!" Vax shouted as the undead swarmed towards the group. Percy fires at one of the skeletons taking a shoulder out but no more. 

"I'm guessing this the Briarwoods doing?" Lydie questions. 

"Everyone step back!" Axel shouts. Stepping forward and unsheathing his sword from his side, he takes a deep breath, his sword beginning to glow a bright blue. With swift movements, he stabs the sword on the ground casting sacred flame. The streets began to glow blue before bursting with explosive blue flame taking the horde that approached them. 

"All right, Ax-man!" Scanlan calls out. 

"That was amazing!" Keyleth said looking on in awe. 

However more zombies began to emerge, "We may want to get out of here." Vex says.

Suddenly, one of the zombies lunges as Vax. "Aren't these things supposed to be slow?" he questions as more began to pile onto him. It seemed like was about to be eaten by them when Axel formed a spiritual weapon in the form of a whip and whips off a few while Keyleth swipes her hand in the air, sending a massive gale that swept them into pieces. 

He pushes himself up and sees Keyleth with her hand out as she smiles at him. 

The others bolted forward, "Come on! Let's move!" Grog calls out as Keyleth ran up to the rogue and pulls him back to his feet, Vax smiles at her, "Thanks Kiki." he said.