Chapter 5 Revelation

Scanlan sat with Grog, bored out of his mind as the people of Tal'dorei paid them no mind. Scanlan sighs, "So, um, what were we supposed to be doing, again?" Grog asks as he scratches his ear.

"I don't know, searching for Fince or something. god, this is boring." Scanlan groans leaning against Grog's leg. But the sound of girls giggling catches Scanlan's attention and he lights up, "Hold up. You know where that creepy little taint-raisin would be? The brothel. Oh, yeah." he said as he stood up. A worker places a wagon of ale next to the square and Grog reaches and takes a barrel. " Yeah, we can investigate there for hours if we need to." 

"Yeah, but, won't Vex be kind of pissed if we ain't doing what she said to?" Grog asks.

"I don't give a wet fart what she thinks. Clearly, I'm the brains of this operation."

"Really? 'Cause she told me you have "dick for brains," which doesn't seem possible." 

"It means he thinks with his dick." 

Scanlan yelps and turns around to find Axel nonchalantly approaching them eating a sandwich. Scanlan's eyes widened when seeing the cleric approach them, "Ax!! How did you get here?"

"And where did you get that sandwich?" Grog added, pointing at the half eaten food in Axel's hand.

Axel raised an eyebrow at the gnome, "I walked, and I charmed someone down by that pub to buy me this. However, I should've asked for less tomatoes." he cringed while taking out the remaining tomatoes.  

"Hey, Grog and I were just going over a brothel to investigate if Fince was there." Scanlan tries to smooth it over.

"You know I'm in love with Lydie." Axel whispers turning around to see if Lydie was around. "Besides you sure Fince goes to brothels??" 

Scanlan cups his chin, "Good point." Just then he turns and gasps. Axel turns to find a figure cloaked in all black walking into the market. It was Sir Fince, trying to keep himself from being recognized, Scanlan stammered looking for a place to hide, and jumps into the barrel in Grog's hands.

Axel using 'Disguise Self' turns into an old beggar as Grog notices and quickly looks around. Fince walks past the three and once he passes, Grog turns the barrel. Scanlan pops out the cork, and watches Fince walk away. "It's that thin-lipped crypt keeper." Scanlan whispers.

"What the hell is he up too?" Axel asked reverting back into his normal form.

"Come on!" Scanlan tells them. Grog burps causing all three to hide as Fince looks back hearing the sound. Fince walks away through the side alley as the three peek in. "You guys go ahead, I'll find Vex and the others."

"You're not going to help follow him?" Grog asks.

Axel clears his throat as an echo of himself appears beside him. "Ohhh, right. I forgot you could make copies of yourself." Grog said, poking one echo. 

*****

Axel alerted the others that they found Fince arriving at a posh mansion a few miles away from the castle.

 Biting into his sandwich, Grog hums happily to himself, "So good." he mutters as the others stood at the front door.

Scanlan takes a closer look at the doors, "Sturdy lock. Nothing like a little song can't handle." he said and places his fingers on the strings and clears his throat. 

♪ Open your back door, baby ♪

♪ Loosen your hinges,

I'll show you my key ♪