Work Friends

Only an hour left of the shift. Charlotte felt exhausted. Her legs ached. Her back wanted to lay down. Her arms wanted to rest with gravity. But she couldn't rest. She would get told off by her manager. She was relatively new, so she had to prove herself a capable worker. So she worked. She tried lifting a heavy package into the trailer she was assigned. She grunted, struggling to lift it up. It was long and heavy. She lifted it off of the rollers, struggling with it. She could feel her arms begin slipping from the package, so she slid the large thing back onto the rollers quickly.

"Woah, careful." A caring voice approached her. "Don't break your back." It was a man. He was relatively young, a yellow candy bar with a dark green ellipse going up the center of his wrapped frame. He had a foot high advantage over her. He put his hands underneath the box she was struggling to lift. That was Charlotte's cue to grab the other end. Together, they lifted the box into the trailer.

Relieved, Charlotte turned to him after and said, "Thank you." With a small smile.

"No worries." He looked back at the rollers. "You seem to still have more to do. Want some help?" He offered with a smile.

"Yes." She involuntarily sighed. “That'd be nice.”

The pair moved to grab another package. "You're new here, right?" The candy bar asked.

"Yeah." She admitted. "I've been here for, like, two weeks." They grabbed a package.

"What's your name?"

"Charlotte." She smiled a little. "You?"

"Parker. Robins." He stumbled with his words. "Parker Robins." He quickly corrected himself.

She chuckled. "How long have you worked here for, Parker?"

They placed the package inside of the trailer. "A couple of years. I stopped keeping track." He chuckled as the pair walked to grab another heavy package. "If you need help lifting things, Charlotte, don't be afraid to ask someone, alright?"

"Right." She agreed noncommittally. She backed up as they got to the trailer. "Safety is the most important thing here." She repeated what she had been endlessly reminded of during her orientation.

They placed the third package in. "But hey, you're doing really well so far! Your wall looks really, really good." He smiled, looking at the wall of packages she was currently making.

She chuckled. "Well, thank you."

Parker looked at the rest of the packages on the rollers. "The rest of these packages you should be able to carry on your own." He smiled at her. "I've gotta split and work on my own trailer, but I look forward to working with you more, Charlotte."

Charlotte got into her trailer. "Thanks, Parker. I'll see you around!" She waved as they separated. A hum escaped her. That moment made her feel more uplifted. With a bit more motivation, she began putting boxes up, building the wall.

-