Overblown

Kylee and Leon were friendly. They were best buds, and it was super apparent in every one of their interactions. Almost sickeningly so. Charlotte felt a bit bummed about it. They couldn't be better than her. Spelunking was supposed to be her and Parker’s thing.

Charlotte was alone tonight. She finished work for the week. She thought about herself. Was she truly appreciated by her friends? She sat under Aaron’s art bridge. She used her strawberry flavored vape. It filled the air with the fruity flavor.

She hummed to herself, looking at the pieces of art. They were stunning, but they were going to waste. Hidden from most of the world, and even then, Aaron probably wouldn't make much, if any, money from it. Did he really expect to make a living off of art? As a hobby, sure, but a job?

Charlotte kicked a ladybug that wandered near her foot. She didn't see where she launched it, but it wasn't there anymore.

Kylee and Leon. Her brows furrowed. She wasn't worse than them. She had control over her own life. She wasn't going to let other people humiliate her again, the way Audrey had. She wouldn't let them ruin her life; her relationship with Parker.

Charlotte looked up at the ceiling, brows furrowed. A stern, unwavering, determined frown was on her face.

To herself, she whispered, “I won't let myself lose again.”

-