Chapter 2 : Statement

She would rather get assaulted by the man than be in a police station, because every time she's there it feels like being sent to her high school counselor.

"Battery, public destruction, underage drinking, repeated runaway..." the desk officer read out her juvenile record from a computer screen.

"Hey! I'm the victim here!" Brooke slapped the desk in protest.

"Doesn't seem that way." the officer shook his head at the data.

The problem with having a juvenile record, is that your credibility drops rock bottom. No one will believe what you say, and whenever there's trouble, the blame is always on you. It has no expiration date, no clean slate, no return-to-go. This record stays with you for the rest of your life.

"I demand my phone call!"

"Technically, you're not being charged yet." the officer didn't look up.

"Does that mean I can go?"

"Right now it's your word against his. There are severe bruises and scratches on his face. Until he wakes up and makes his statement, you are a suspect as well as a victim."

"I didn't throw those punches! The bouncers did! Call them!"

"Can you swear you didn't make those scratches? We may need to take DNA evidence from those nails." the officer nodded at her hands, Brooke quickly hid them under the desk.

"Does that mean I can't use the phone?"

"Who's stopping you?"

She fished the phone out of her tote bag, took a moment to think whom to call. She doesn't know anyone in Pittsburgh, and calling the staffs from work would definitely get her fired. She already had a few written warnings at the studio, it was the last thing she needed.