Chapter 25 : Missing

After leaving the studio, Chloe picked up some drugs from the pharmacy, selected a variety of takeout dinners. She wasn't sure what Brooke eats, so she picked some fruits, pastries and soup.

She arrived home and found the apartment empty. The pills she left on the table were gone, as was the box of white wine. The clothes she lent out were neatly stacked on the table, next to them was Brooke's phone, and the cash she offered as rent.

Damn it! I told you to rest!

She dropped everything and ran back down, drove over to the nightclub and charged right through the backdoor, the bouncer did not intend to stop her.

"Brooke. Is she here?" she went straight to Rahul.

"Who?"

"Blaze. Is she in there?"

"Haven't seen her since last night." said Rahul chewing on his toothpick.

"Do you know where she might be?"

"Sorry, we rarely talk." Rahul shook.

Chloe wanted to yell at him for being so insensitive to fellow staffs, but instead she thanked him and returned to her car, trying to think of where the girl might be.

She drove to the park, hoping to see Brooke with the skateboarders, but the hour was late and the park was empty.

What were you thinking??

She looked through the pictures on Brooke's phone again, trying to figure out where she went, then a chill shot up her spine. Brooke was very careful with her money, why would she leave them on the table? And her phone too?

She stomped on gas, headed to the last place she wished to see her - the Three Sister Bridges.

She drove past all three bridges: the Roberto Clemente, Andy Warhol and Rachel Carson, then doubled back. After finding nothing, she drove to other locations showed on the phone, her heart pounding hard.

Brooke! Don't do anything stupid!

She drove all night, thinking of all the possible places one may visit at a moment of despair.

No Brooke.

She returned home late at night, exhausted and beaten by stress. She took out the key to her apartment, that's when she heard a voice.

"It's about time you get back!"

Gasping, Chloe saw Brooke sitting at the bottom of the stairs, with one foot on her skateboard, smiling like a child. She had a paper bag over her lap, and was eating a pack of tortilla chips. Chloe shot up and hugged her, so tight Brooke dropped her chips.

"Where the hell were you??" Chloe almost broke out in tears.

"Hey... what? I went out to get some food. I was staving!"

"For this long??"

"I locked myself out! Forgot I don't have a key." Brooke shrugged like a little boy.

"You could have called!"

"I left my phone at your house!"

Chloe yelled to cover her own recklessness. Looking at Brooke laughing silly, she had no one to blame but herself. Why in the world would I think the girl wants to end her life?

"But why did you leave the money on the table? And your phone?" she continued yelling, trying to throw all her frustration at Brooke.

"Those are my share of the rent, I only took what I needed to buy food. Didn't want my entire savings to get robbed again." the girl cocked her head like it was a silly remark. "And my service expired. I need to look for a new phone plan."

Chloe fought hard to control her emotions, couldn't understand why she was so concerned about this girl.

"Wait a minute. Why are you crying? Were you worried about me?" Brooke looked at her with doubt.

Chloe burst out a chuckle, pulling herself together and trying to look strong.

"No. I was wondering if you went to the club."

"You told me to rest." the girl shrugged.

"I'm sorry. How are you feeling?" Chloe tidied her hair and face.

"I'm starving, that's a good sign. Right?"

"Then let's get you inside!"