Chapter 38 : Walk of Shame

The mattresses weren't built for sleep, and Chloe woke up stiff. She did her routine stretch in front of the mirrors, at the exact spot she did when she was little. It brought back sweet memories.

The studio was never designed for waking up in the morning, and Chloe couldn't find anything to wash up.

"Hey." she shook Brooke gently. "Do you have an extra toothbrush?"

"What time is it?" the girl muttered.

"Time for me to go, before they start coming in."

"Let me sleep. I'll just tell them you come visit this morning." Brooke pulled the blanket back over her face.

"That's not gonna work. I have no reason being here!" Chloe checked the time on her phone.

Abby may not be here, but other coaches will show up on time. There's still an hour before opening, but Chloe felt uncomfortable being here uninvited. She shook the sleeping girl again.

"Do you have an extra toothbrush or not?"

"I don't brush. I just rinse it off!"

It struck Chloe that she had never seen the girl brushing her teeth in her apartment. She grunted in disgust, made a mental note to get this girl a toothbrush.

She used the studio restroom to wash her face, briefly settle her hair in a presentable manner. By time she returned to Studio C again, Brooke was up and clearing the place.

At least she covers her track well! Chloe nodded.

After helping to clean up, Chloe made one last check over the crime scene, making sure she didn't leave any evidence that might lead back to her. She peaked through the glass door, the driveway was empty but her Rover.

"You know what you look like?" Brooke giggled behind her.

"What?" Chloe brushed her hair, checking herself in the mirror.

"Someone who's about to do the walk of shame!"

"Shut up!" Chloe blushed.

Her words were sealed by a pair of lips. Brooke pulled her by her sweater, pressing them together. The gesture was so sudden Chloe did not know how to react, she simply paused, like the universe in her.

"Hey! Chlo!" she heard Brooke, like from miles away. "You need to go."

Chloe opened her eyes, wasn't sure when they were shut. She didn't know how long they kissed, but she was sad that it had to end.

"I... really should, aren't I?"

She pushed through the door and ran out the driveway, her face so blushed she could feel it burning, and her heart pounding so hard she could barely breathe.

Panicking, she fished out her keys but couldn't find her Ford, until the Range Rover beeped from behind. Confused and embarrassed, she quickly got into the car and drove away, so hurried she forgot to wave Brooke goodbye.

So hurried, that she overlooked the blue vehicle watching from across the road.

* * *

The hour was early and traffic was light, but Chloe switched from lane to lane, reaching every turn but missing them. She couldn't focus, and wasn't sure where she was headed.

It was just a stupid kiss! She told herself.

She spent most of her childhood at the studio, everyone she knew was from her class, they grew up like sisters, but never had any intimate relationships. Suddenly this girl Brooke showed up - a clumsy, rude, poorly hygienic girl, a personality completely opposite of her own, was now stirring her heart.

Her throat felt dry and her stomach was growling, she desperately needed breakfast to put her mind at rest. She drove in a random fashion, looking for a place to settle, but couldn't make up her mind what she wanted, until she spotted the strip mall that Wandinha took her to.

There were some activities at the shop, people were moving furniture from a big truck. Curious, she pulled up and parked the Rover.

"Excuse me. Are you moving in?" she approached an old lady who looked in charge.

"Yes!" the woman smiled. "Just got the place yesterday!"

Chloe studied the materials being carried into the shop - kitchen utensils, pots, tables and chairs.

"Is it a restaurant?" she asked politely.

"Bakery. We just moved from Cleveland. We're so lucky to find this place!"

"Pastry?"

"Pies! Good old recipe from the US of A!" the woman said proudly.

"I look forward to try it out!"

"We'll open on Monday, Darling!"

"And I'll be your first customer!"

Chloe retreated to her car, sighing deeply. She was disappointed that the place was taken, that she wasn't able to have her own studio, but at the same time relieved that she didn't get it. She couldn't imagine the weight of responsibility on her shoulders.

Thinking about it, Wandinha hasn't contacted her since they last spoke on this very spot. She wondered if the girl was upset at what she said, or simply assumed this was the way Chloe wanted.

This is a girl raised in an isolated world, her only friends were paid to entertain her. She probably never had a real friend, and now she's trying to reach out. Chloe just has to guide her.

She offered you an opportunity, the least you can do is thank her. Her conscious saying.

Despite the weird behavior and taste in fashion, Wandinha was highly aware of her surroundings. Considering her family business, any error may cost her life and the ones she loves, someone Chloe could relate to.

She was also highly educated, living an impressive lifestyle that was very similar to Chloe's past, nourished by the manners of high society, and always making herself presentable.

Brooke on the other hand grew up a farm boy, tough as nails, never caring about her appearance, always in her beanie, black sweater and jeans. She never planned ahead, just breaking a path like a bulldozer. Her obliviousness was unbelievably poor, and someday may get her killed.

Why am I comparing the two?

Shook away her thoughts she took out her phone, and dialed Wandinha's lawyer.

"Ms. Lukasiak." Mr. Garcia picked up after two rings, apparently keeping her number in his phone.

"It's Chloe." she corrected, feeling uncomfortable being referred to by her surname.

"What can I do for you, Ms. Lukasiak?"

It was the first time she heard Mr. Garcia speak, his voice carries a high pitch, like an operatic tenor, but gentle like speaking to a baby. The man patiently explained that the contract's valid date was overdue, a subtext written in the clauses. Chloe apologized for her late response, and thanked Mr. Garcia for his effort.

"May I have Wandinha's number? I wish to thank her personally."

"Sorry, Ms. Lukasiak. My client doesn't deal directly, but I will pass your message." the reply was polite but firm.

"Thank you. Mr. Garcia."