Chapter 46 : Recovering

Chloe caught a glimpse when the nurse was dressing Brooke's wounds. Under the bandages was a swollen eye, the nose tip was gone and so was the upper lip, exposing the cracked teeth underneath. The rest of her face was applied with a layer of antiseptic solution, which made her skin look dark and yellow.

"What am I gonna do now? No one is going to hire a freak!"

Brooke sobbed in despair, barely making out the words with her missing lip. That boyish heart in her was now gone, leaving only her soulless eyes staring into a distance, as if waiting for something to take her away from this nightmarish torture.

"They can fix that. It will take time, but trust me, they can fit it." Chloe held her hand.

"For rich kids maybe! I can't even cover the bill for this place!" she turned to the machines hooking up to her.

"We'll figure it out. We'll do this together. I promise!" Chloe squeezed her hand.

"I know you're an optimist, but face the reality Chlo, the world doesn't always work your way, it never works mine! I'll be a living freak the rest of my life. I should just end it now!"

The words hit Chloe hard. Somewhere along her life she had that very same thought.

"I was disfigured too." she bit her lip, holding on to the secret all this time. "Years ago. But they fixed me, they can fix you."

"Bullshit! It's so easy for you to say. Look at you! You're... so perfect!" Brooke's voice cracked saying those words.

"I'm not perfect." Chloe sat back and sighed, then took a deep breath. "I'm going to let you know a secret, but you must promise not to tell anyone."

Brooke blinked with the eye that wasn't swollen, watched Chloe lower her face, dropping her long blonde hair over it. Next she saw Chloe reach behind that hair, doing something she couldn't see.

Chloe looked up again, her hair now falling in front, partially covering her face, but still carrying that sweet smile. She then offered her hand to Brooke, opening her fingers slowly, and revealing the eyeball in her palm.

"HOLY FUCK!!"