Chapter 22 : Lost and Found

Brooke woke up in the empty apartment. She pushed herself to her feet, found Chloe's note and took the pills. She looked around the place, stood in front of the shelf full of photos, picked out one of Chloe holding a trophy.

Charlie.

She remembered her best friend growing up together, she too has beautiful blonde hair, and the face of an angel.

Brooke's parents always wanted boys, and raised her like one. When Charlie was bullied by two older boys on her first day at school, Brooke beat the hell out of them, and got into trouble with the school. It also earned her a bad reputation: Brooke likes girls. But she never regretted it, because Charlie has been her soulmate ever since.

They've been through joy and sadness together, they thought they could be best friends forever, until Charlie's parents disapprove their relationship. Homosexuality was taboo back home even to this day and age, and Charlie's family moved away shortly. They never saw each other again.

She traveled across the states, searching for Charlie, just to see her one more time, long enough to say a proper goodbye.

That day when Chloe showed up, it was like her wish was granted, but she watched her from a distance, fearing that a direct approach may scare her away, then Charlie would be lost again, forever.

Looking at the empty bed, thinking they were together one last time, was enough to fulfill her lost touch of love, that it was more than enough for her.