Chapter 20 : Background Check

Using the private elevator, Carlos reached the top floor of the PPG Tower. This place used to be the penthouse of some social media CEO, now it was seized and became Aldama's property.

The elevator door opened to a lobby of checkered flooring, with sculptures of black and white lining up on both sides. This impression of a chessboard was no coincidence.

The lobby opened to several paths, Carlos took the one leading to the grand living room, where the sound of cello was coming from. He followed the music and came to the garden, where it opened to a wide view of the night city. He stood quietly, waiting for the piece to finish.

"Did you find anything?" the cellist asked without stopping.

Based on the tone, Carlos knew the person was displeased, that two more of his men were spared by a girl.

"Her name is Chloe Lukasiak. She's a dance teacher at a studio called Studio 19 Dance Complex. She participated in some reality show many years ago."

Carlos reported briefly, there was a long silence.

"Her car was registered less than a year ago, as were her rental flat and social platforms. There is no record of her before that. No school, no home address, no family, like her identity was fabricated."

"You think she's an imposter?"

"I'm looking into that now."

"Perhaps I should look into it myself."

"No. That will be unnecessary." Carlos hesitated. "She single-handedly took down four of my armed men, all with her bare hands."

"And you think I cannot handle that?" the music stopped.

"Your father wouldn't approve."

The cellist put the instrument aside and stood up, Carlos immediately stepping back, making way for the person who walked into the light.

"My father is dead." the person said. "And it's time you all see that I'm worthy of his name."