Chapter 30 : On the Road

Chloe was still biting her lip behind the steering wheel. Ms. Abby hasn't contacted her since she turned down her offer, so it was hard to know how Abby may react seeing her again. She just hoped it wouldn't affect Brooke's job.

She was also a little upset that Brooke never knew she was a member at the ALDC. She vaguely told her about being on a show about life in a dance studio, but Brooke failed to make the connection.

But at the same time, Chloe felt this might fit the perfect profile for a roommate. Brooke never questions other people's lives. She'll never ask where Chloe went so late at night, or how she got those scars on her wrists, or when she will be home. Brooke could be left alone and she'll find her own entertainment.

"I can drop you at the door. I can't stay for long. I need to get somewhere." Chloe lied.

"But you must come! It's my first day! And it really means so much to me if you are by my side!" Brooke whined like a little girl.

"Hold that thought." Chloe switched to the slow lane.

From the rear view mirror, a line of motorcycles was catching up. They were cruisers and choppers, with modified frames and high handlebars.

She carefully fitted her Ford behind a moving truck, forcing the bikers to push forward. Two choppers that were tailgating had to ride past her, sending unfriendly stares in her direction.

"What? Do you know them?" Brooke turned to Chloe.

"I think you do." Chloe looked at the embroidery on their clothes - the axes that formed the skull and crossbones insignia.

"I don't remember knowing any bikers." Brooke looked at them in confusion.

The windshield took an impact and burst into a spider web. Something struck the glass from the left, Chloe spun the wheel, cursing herself for not watching all directions.

The weapon was a flail, or at least made for that purpose. Attached to the chain was a cluster of nails and screws welded together, which punctured and stuck to the cracked windshield.

"Not so tough now LITTLE BITCH!!"

The attacker yanked the spiky sphere out of the windshield, swinging it in the air. Even with the bandana and sunglasses, Chloe recognized Clay the landlord.

She pulled back over the fast lane, using the long truck to block the attacker, but there was another impact, this time from the passenger side.

"Hey! What the FUCK!!" Brooke screamed shielding herself.

"Keep your head down!"

Speeding on the highway, Chloe assessed the situation. She counted half a dozen bikers, two of them swinging baseball bats, others carrying axes in their hands.

The biker from the right slammed his baseball bat again, this time shattering the windshield completely, sending a shower of glass into the compartment, and letting in strong wind that disturbed her vision.

"Take the wheel!" Chloe pulled out a rubber band from her pocket, tying her hair into a ponytail.

"What? How?" Brooke looked confused.

"Just hold it still! Keep your foot on the accelerator!"

"What're you gonna do??"

Bewildered, the girl watched Chloe grab the top of the glassless window frame with both hands, tuck in her knees, place both legs over the steering wheel, and in one slick move, sending herself out on the hood.

"Are you NUT??" Brooke yelled under the high wind, reaching her left hand over to grab the steering wheel, trying to keep the vehicle from swinging.

"Maintain speed! Keep it steady!" Chloe rolled on her belly.

"How am I supposed to get over there??"

"Improvise!" Just like your life! Chloe didn't say.

She rolled up to a half-kneeling position, steady as a rock on the speeding vehicle. Her eyes fixed on her primary target - Clay.

Without pressure on the accelerator, the Ford began to lose speed. Brooke threw one leg over the shifter, grabbed the wheel with both hands and yanked herself over to the driver's side. She trailed Chloe's eyes to her left, that's when she saw him.

"Clay? What the fuck??"

Clay swung the flail again, sent out the ball of nails and screws in a circular path. Chloe dodged, the heavy mace missed its target and continued its swing, taking the biker's arm to himself, putting her opponent at a disadvantage.

Taking the opportunity, Chloe leaped off her feet, launched over the wind and landed her back on Clay's fat gas tank. Before Clay could react to this unbelievable stunt, Chloe kicked out both feet, breaking his nose instantly.

The blow sent him backward, but his legs clamped tight around his bike, pulling himself back to a sitting position, only to run his face right into the heels of another blow, this time knocking him right off the bike.

"Take THAT you son of a...!!"

Brooke's curse was cut short by an intrusion from the passenger-side window. A biker from the right struck his bat through the shatter glass, knocking around the compartment trying to reach the driver.

"Damn it! You wanna fuck with me? I eat boy-asses for breakfast since I was NINE!!"

Brooke spun the wheel, ramming the Ford into her attacker. The motorcycle was a heavyweight Harley, but was no match for a four-wheel vehicle. The force knocked the motorcycle to its side, dragging its rider down the road, scraping up a trail of sparks across the concrete.

In the rear-view mirror Brooke saw the third biker approaching. He slammed an axe to the side of the car, demonstrating the lethal weapon.

Seeing Brooke under attack, Chloe leaped from Clay's motorcycle, landed on the back of her own Ford, rolled across the trunk and swung out a kick, the precision knocked the axe off the biker's hand.

Steady in a half-kneeling position, Chloe caught the spinning axe in mid-air, then jammed it into the motorbike's front wheel.

"HOLY SHIT!" Brooke yelled as she watched the man launch up the air, over the roof and land heavily in the next lane.

"Brake!" Chloe swung herself through the rear side window and into the passenger seat.

"How the hell did you...??" Brooke looked back.

"Brake!!" Chloe repeated, pushing both hands to the back of the front seat, ready for impact.

Brooke stomped on the brake pedal, decelerating the Ford instantly. A chopper from behind crashed right into the Ford's tail, sending another biker over the roof.

"Go!" Chloe instructed.

Brooke hit gas without questioning, launching the vehicle forward, leaving behind a trail of motorcycle wreckage and bodies.

"Fuck! That was intense!"

"Stop cursing in my car!" Chloe reminded.

"I meant Shit! You just took down three bikers!"

"Two. You knocked one over with the car." Chloe corrected.

"That was Clay! Where the hell did he get these people?"

"Best assumption, he belongs to a motorcycle gang. Didn't you see the insignia?" Chloe brushed the glass off her hair.

"What insignia??"

"Please, just drive!"

Chloe gave up explaining to someone so oblivious. Right now she needed to clear her mind and focus on something more important. She needed to prepare to face Ms. Abby.