Chapter 39 : Wings

The Vorobey was the next-generation model of the Raven Wingsuit, its wing frames carry a lighter weight and fold into a smaller backpack. The improved "feathers" were made of nano-fiber, thin as a sheet of saran-wrap, but tough as leather. Together they offer a stronger uplift, allowing the pilot to gain altitude without the assistance of a thermal source. The new wings also improved maneuverability and speed, which earned the name "Sparrow".

Standing on top of a radio tower, Chloe observed from high altitude. Dialing the ear of her helmet she saw tiny dots of glowing energy, from late travelers down the highway, and a helicopter patrolling above the city. Nothing to worry about.

She spent night after night staring at the ceiling. After Brooke moved out, the apartment felt unusually empty, something she'd never felt before. Despite the loud music, the drinking, and having to constantly pick up clothes everywhere, she missed having someone to welcome her home. They only spent a few nights together, but it changed her perspective on living.

She counted the people she lived with: Tilly at the Recovery, Paige while staying with the Hylands, Clara her adopted little sister, her mother, those who made her life whole - a family. Yet Brooke was different, something she couldn't put a finger to.

Usually at this spot her heart races, ready to fight crime, but tonight she promised herself a relaxing flight, just to burn off the stimulant.

If you get hurt, who's going to look out for Brooke?

Having the clumsy girl in her life, she felt a silly responsibility to look after Brooke, like a sister, a daughter, or someone close.

She leaped off the tower, spun out her wings at free fall, caught the wind and began climbing. Once she reached a safe altitude, she lifted up her face shield and let the wind blow on her face, the air was cold and stung her eyes, but she loves to feel the wind as she flies.

A flock of birds showed up around her, curious about this new species that was crossing their path. Chloe flew among them, like she became part of them, like she became...

Chlobird.

She chuckled at the nickname that she had long forgotten. Her mother gave her that name, because most of her performances were related to birds. Thinking about it now, that name has been foreshadowing her all along, that one day she can fly like a bird.

The view of Pittsburgh was irresistible, some had already hung their Christmas lights, turning the city night into a magnificent festival. She kept her altitude, flying just over the skyscrapers, admiring the breathtaking view of the glowing streets below. Even from high up, she could hear the sound of traffic, sirens, and a cello playing.