chapter 23 - an important question

Vegeta's POV.

A week has passed since the dinner, Y/n and I are constantly being called to the room where research and plans are being made. I can tell she's worn out from all the early mornings and late nights we spend in there.

The approval that my father gave me is eating away in my mind, constantly wondering when is the right time to ask her. Whenever I consider it, something always pops up.

————

At 5 am there's a knock at my door, waking both of us up.

"Prince Vegeta and Y/n, you have both been summoned to the throne room by the king." I hear them scurry away down the hall.

"Why can't I have one peaceful night of sleep? This is ridiculous!" She groans. Stepping out of bed, we change into our battle suits and I basically carry her to the throne room. The sun isn't even up yet and my mood is already soured.

————

The guards open the door for us and we enter my father's office.

"What is it, old man? If you can't tell, we are trying to rest." I say through gritted teeth. Gesturing to my mate, who is rubbing her eyes and leaning against the doorframe.

"I wanted to tell you that the task y/n proposed was triumphant and we will be continuing with the plan."

"Why couldn't that wait until morning?!" I snap.

"I was just so excited about it that I had to wake you." A fake smile comes across his face and I roll my eyes.

"Father, may we have a one-on-one conversation?" I can't believe I'm actually anxious about asking this.

"Sure son. But you have to make it quick, I'm also on a time crunch."

I nod and turn around to face y/n. "Hey, I'll just be a couple of minutes, go wait by the doors." She groggily nods and walks over to the guards.

Closing the door, I turn around and begin to speak.

"Where is mothers ring?" I wring my hands out behind my back, trying to show I'm not nervous.

"Wow Vegeta, you're really going to ask her?"

"Of course I am! Keep your voice down!" I whisper yell, trying my best for her not to hear.

"Of course, It's in my chambers. Come see me when you have the time." He stands up and places a hand on my shoulder. 

"I'm proud of you, son."

Father's words make my stomach drop. He's never said that to me, ever. Usually, it's just him insulting or berating me.

"I'd like to request a week off as well to get everything in order. She is not used to this and is exhausted." Crossing my arms, I look up at him with a scowl.

"Because this situation is vital, consider it done. I'll inform everybody not to bother both of you right away." I nod at him and exit his office.

————

When I go to walk out, I see y/n leaning up against the wall. Quietly, I chuckle as I realize she's fallen asleep.

Gently picking her up, I put her head in my chest and carefully walked back to my room. Stirring, she opens her eyes slightly.

"Shh, just go back to sleep. Everything is taken care of." I say gently.

She murmurs out an 'okay' before dozing off.

————

Resting her on the bed, I take off her armor and slip back on the shirt she was wearing. As I get into bed next to her, she nuzzles up to my chest and I gently drape my arm around her.