Chapter Forty-One: May

Two and a half weeks without Summer Hathaway felt like a year. The thought formed a lump in my throat; I hadn't realized until now that with Summer across the country next year, two and a half weeks will be like a drop in the ocean compared to how little I'll see her. I hadn't taken the time to let that fact sink in. I'd been too busy brainstorming ways to save our friendship.

Brooks kept me entertained, our friendship falling back to a place a normalcy. I was grateful for that, especially because the constant thoughts in my head about Jeremy weren't comparable to the feelings of curiosity I had towards Brooks. If I wasn't thinking about Summer, I was thinking about Jeremy. Most of the time, I thought of them both, wishing I could see them.

Three shifts, four days, and one beer for good luck later, I couldn't stand the wishing anymore. Wishing for my friendship back with Summer was hurtful. Wishing I could change the past was wasteful. Wishing was taking away precious time--time that my mother and Sully no longer have. That simple fact changed everything for me on an early-August afternoon.

I took a long shower, blow-dried my hair, and curled it slightly at the ends. Some mascara, concealer, and a tad bit of blush completed the look. It was a far cry than my greasy garage tees and my Dockside uniform. I felt the prettiest I have all summer in a pink floral sundress that danced around my curves perfectly. Kissing my father on the cheek, I swiftly headed out towards my Jeep.

The short ride to the Dawson home did enough damage on my curls, but I didn't care. All I cared about was not wishing. Slowly, the Jeep slowed to a stop at the root of the gravel drive. My heart was beating a million miles an hour, but the feeling exhilarated me. When I shut my passenger door, it took all of twenty seconds for Jeremy to appear through the garage.

He was slightly sweaty, his curls peeking out in so many directions. A dark grey tee hung on his shoulders. He looked bigger since I last saw him, as if he'd turned all of his bitterness and grief into exercise. There was a lonely look in his eyes, but a strong resolve about him. He faintly let a smile touch his lips once he realized it was me in his driveway.

He came closer, a rag draped over his shoulder and a spark of hope in his expression, although I could tell he was trying to conceal it. He barely allowed himself to gaze at me head-to-toe, while I was the opposite. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I hadn't realized just how much I missed looking at him, although I had never looked at him like this, because he wasn't mine. He still wasn't, but it felt as if a veil had been lifted.

"Hi," I finally say. Once my voice hit his ears, his entire demeanor changed.

"May," he smiled, walking towards me at a faster pace. He wrapped himself around me, gripping onto me like a lifeline. Once I hugged him back in the same way, we stayed like that for a long time. "What are you doing here?" he asked, finally pulling away.

I bit my lip, still combatting my racing heart. "I know I'm here unannounced... I'm sorry to bother you."

He shook his head. "You never bother me."

I blinked, trying to regain focus. "How are you?"

We start walking towards his garage, following the steps into the house. "I'm alright, I've been busy." He says, handing me a water bottle from the fridge. Sully's house is a well-organized mess. Boxes line the hallway, stacked up at least four feet tall. File folders, receipts, and documents were scattered on the kitchen table, while an empty beer bottle and a takeout container littered the coffee table. Jeremy must see how I'm marveling at how different the home looks, so he picks up the trash and throws them away one by one. "I've been digging through all of his things, following his very specific directions in the will. Grandpa was particular about his stuff."