*~Chapter 24~*

The rest of the day went without a hitch. You found out that you shared a couple classes with Fanny and Zan. You felt... different, about school, now that you had your own friends. It felt nice. Less pointless. Maybe you could endure school as long as you had them.

But there was still that small, niggling feeling in the back of your head...

What if they leave me?

That was a troubling thought. You forced it to the depths of the back of your mind. You didn't need this right now.

Soon enough, the end of the school day came. You and your friends were outside.

Zoe asked, "How're you getting home, y/n? My mom will be picking me up, and those two always walk home."

"I'm walking," you replied.

"Which way are you headed?" Fanny asked with her usual excitement. "We're going that way!" They pointed in one direction.

"Oh. I'm going that way." You pointed in the other direction.

"Oh." Fanny suddenly crushed you in a hug.

"Ah-" you yelped.

"Safe travels," she said as they pulled away.

"Uh, yeah. You too," you replied with a slightly awkward smile.

"See you tomorrow," Zan said, and the two siblings headed home.

Now it was just you and Zoe.

"I'd better go too.." you said.

"Yeah, of course! See you tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah, see you.. tomorrow."

You walked back to the owl house... It was pretty easy - you just had to walk in a straight direction and not for very long - but it would have been easier if Luz were here.

You soon got to the owl house, and Lilith and Hooty were outside together, the latter with a bunch of ice items. Okay...?

You went inside, before your eyes widened at what you saw in front of you.

"Eda? What the hell?" you said accusingly, gesturing to the huge spiked ice orb in the living room, practically consuming everything, that was continuously growing. The worst part, it was blocking the way to the stairs. 'I swear, I was safer in the castle...' you thought to yourself.

But you definitely did recognise it. From somewhere. You'd figure it out.

Lilith must have noticed something was amiss (surely not from the loud noise the orb made) because she knocked on the door. "Edalyn? Are these distress noises or normal noises?"

"Totally normal! Don't come in!" Eda sing-songed back. You raised an eyebrow.

"Eda, what did you do?"

"Relax, kid, I got this." With that, she turned back to the massive orb. "I am your mother. You will obey me and die!" She tried hitting it with a mace, but it just got absorbed, and then Eda got knocked back to the wall by a new spike.

"...You sure?"

Unfortunately, when Eda got knocked back, King had been flung off towards the orb, and was now being absorbed by it. "Eda, help me! Y/n! Help me! Eda, help me!"

"King!" you exclaimed.

Eda gasped, horrified.

"Eda! Just swallow your damn pride and do what you have to!"

"Ugh! Fine! Lilith, emergency!"

Lilith must have been waiting for that, because she immediately kicked down the door. She took one look at the spiked orb. "Whoa."