Day 34: Painful

He'd tried to ignore it, but he couldn't escape just how painful it was to get cataclysmed.

It was distracting enough while he was cooking breakfast or designing, but Gabriel could simply not focus on the briefing Nathalie was giving him.

"Sir?" His back had been to her but she came in front of him. "Did you hear me?"

His gaze snapped to hers.

"Gabriel?" she said more forcefully. Her own eyes lowered to his forearm, which was gripped by his other hand. The shaking was clear to see.

"It's nothing." He gritted his teeth at another wave of pain.

"You're going to make it worse." She reached forward and pulled his fingers away from his arm.

She was still mad at him, so why was her touch so gentle? The display of affection disarmed him. It had been so long since she'd shown him anything like it.

Gabriel found his eyes drifting back and forth between Nathalie and the portrait behind her.

She rolled up his sleeve, eyebrows drawing together. She sighed sadly. "Why did you have to go and do this, Gabriel?" Her voice was soft and full of sympathy.

"It's too late, Nathalie. If I could undo it, I would."

"Hmm." She straightened his sleeve, backing up. He stepped forward, reclaiming her hand before she could move too far.

"Thank you for caring."