Hide and Speak (2)

Trixie felt her heart plummet into her stomach. Swallowing the lump that had grown in her throat, she spoke.

"We need to help it, Doctor." She said, in a strange voice.

She walked forward a distance, looking down each of the pathways. "I have to fix this. I have to."

"What was that, Trix?" The Doctor asked from behind.

She was about to answer, but the sound of hooves stomping nearby broke her attention. Whipping her head in the direction of the sound, she saw the creature. Once again, it spotted her, and ran away. This time Trixie was prepared.

"No! Wait!" Trixie yelled, running after it.

"Trixie!"

"PLEASE! We're here to help!" She exclaimed, catching up with the skeletal creature.

After dodging and weaving throughout a series of corridors and pathways, around bends left and right, she finally cornered it. The Doctor's footsteps and voice had long since faded.

It stood, tense and frozen, at the end of the pathway. Its crooked body cast an eerie shadow against the dirt wall, giving the appearance of a lion. "I know you're scared, but please.. just let me help."

She approached it, hand extended in a non-threatening way. It didn't move, just stared at her nearing with piercing blue eyes. Eventually, her hand touched the creature's skull. Rough and cold, she ran her hand gently across it. All sounds and noises seemed to stop. "See? It's alright, you're going to be fine."

* * *

"TRIXIE?" The Doctor yelled, his voice echoing throughout the dirt passageways. Running along endless paths, looking desperately for any signs of Trixie or the creature. Why was she acting so.. different today? She seemed distant, and now she had just ran off.

Well, at least that part matched up.

Turning a corner, something caught his attention. A black shadow of a person, gliding down a path up ahead. A soft wailing came and faded with the shadow.

"Ahh, now what are you?" He murmured, hurrying after them.

* * *

The creature had not made any attempt to move away or escape. As a matter of fact, it appeared to be completely comfortable. Trixie looked up, planning to try and search for the Doctor, until she realised something.

Wherever they were, it wasn't in the dirt passageways. A pitch black void surrounded them, being practically auditory deprivation for the two of them. Gently, she let her hand fall off of the creature, which straightened up. A strangely melancholic mood fell upon the air like a hammer. She strolled around in a circle, looking into the deep abyss. It felt strangely like their first adventure; looking down into the darkness of the Triangle. That was so long ago now.

Reaching her hand out, she placed it on the creature's skull and the next thing she knew, she was zapped back to the dirt pathways. The only difference was that when she turned, the creature had vanished. A single tear fell from her eye, as it felt like all the hopelessness drained out from her.

* * *

The Doctor had been trailing the same path as the shadow had been for a while now. Every time he got near enough to speak, it turned, and vanished, popping up in an entirely different area.

As he came across his nth dead end, he sighed. A slight 'zap' sound came from nearby, and hope filled him once again as he darted down a path. The shadow person was there again, glowing white eyes staring endlessly. A low, echoed sobbing came from them.