one second

Zach was carefully applying concealer to his undereyes when he felt a little smack on his butt. He swats his hand away, bending over to see himself up close. Jack smacks his butt again. He looks at him through the mirror. "Yes, Jack?"

"Nice butt." He pecks his cheek and observes him.

"Thank you, honey." The brunet smiled and kept concealing any imperfections. Once he's done, he puts some highlighter. "Jack, you have to get dressed, or we're gonna be late," he warns him.

The curly head puckers his lips and waits for a kiss. Zach buttons both their shirts and kisses him. They tuck in their pants, and Jack hands him his belt.

Then it was time for the ties. As usual, Zach helped Jack and then tied his own tie. "Uhmm, don't move, I know just the thing." He climbs the bed and reaches into his side of the nightstand and takes out a small box. He returns to Jack and hands him it.

The curly head takes it in his hands and opens the box. It was a silver collar bar clasp. "Baby..." He pouts. "Thank you, I'll wear it forever."

Zach chuckles as he puts it on him."There we go." He kisses him and pats his chest twice and moves to put on his vest. It suits him perfectly, going over the slight curve of his waist tastefully.

"I got you something, too." Jack smiles. He runs in his closet and comes out with two boxes.

Zach puts his hands to his hips. "I was supposed to be the one offering gifts here, Mister Avery. We're supposed to be saving up for an apartment."

Jack nods sheepishly. "Yeah, but it's very necessary." He tries to defend himself as he opens the first box.

It was a pair of cufflinks with Herron in silver letters. "Ta-dah!" He smiles. "I have a pair with my last name as well...it's like a family heirloom." His smile turns bigger. "I wanna start collecting heirlooms with you, darling."

Zach bites his lip and nods. "I had an idea, actually." Jack looks at him expectantly. "Where are yours?" He lifts his arms.

Zach removes the left cufflink and steals it for himself. He hands him the Herron cufflink. "A piece of each other on one another."

Jack feels his eyes water a bit. "You've become such a sappy man." He pouts. "Now the other gift makes perfect sense." Jack opens the other box and takes out a white gold thin ring.

"Y-You're not proposing, are you?" Zach asks, just to make sure.

His lover chuckles. "Not yet." He slides the ring on his left middle finger and does the same for himself.

"What do you mean, not yet?" Zach enquires with a raised eyebrow.

"I haven't started planning it, that is all." Jack shrugs, a smile making its way to his face as he stares at their hands. "I still have a lot of things I wanna do with you before I put a ring on that pretty little finger." He kisses his hand.

Zach blushes heavily. "Like what?" He asks.

"Like not being late for the gala." Jack teases.

***

The two get to the gala and get out of the car in style. Jack hands his car keys to the valet and helps his darling boyfriend get out of the car. The couple sets foot on the red carpet, and they're immediately bombarded by flashes.

They stop on top of the marks on the floor to let the photographers take pictures. Jack pulls him closer by the waist, making sure that everyone knows they're dating.

A reporter that Zach recognizes comes up to them to interview them. She greets them.

"And here we have Doctor Jack Avery and channel six's very own, Zach Herron. How are you two tonight?"