☠︎︎ 13. The Truth in a Ploy ☠︎︎

— careful what you hear, little boy

some of it, it's true, some of it, it's a ploy

but even the things you see

can be different on the sea —

They couldn't possibly be talking about him. There was no way that, after what happened last night, Kim would say things like this about Chay. It couldn't be. Was Kim just pretending... the kisses, the touches, the feelings... but it all felt so real. Was Chay really the dumb one for trusting pirates? It was indeed a little bit surprising how Kim switched his behaviour from pushing Chay away to openly admitting that he cares and kissing Chay until they fell asleep, but it was Kim... Chay's Kim... they belonged together after all.

Or was it only Chay who felt that?

Before he knew it he shuffled out of the bed and reached for Kim's sabre which was lying on top of the treasure map on the table. He curled his fingers tightly around the handle, staring at it for a moment. What was he even going to do? Run away? They were in the middle of the ocean. Hurt Kim? No, he would never do that. Confront Kim about what he just overheard? Yeah, and look pathetic while doing so, right Chay what a good bunch of stupid fucking options!

Chay pressed his lips into a thin line and shook his head; no, there was no way that conversation was about Chay. Chay should trust Kim more. Yes, just trust your pirate, Chay. Don't believe things that are taken out of context.

Chay wanted to put the sabre back in its place when the door to the cabin opened and Kim walked in. He stopped a couple of steps in front of Chay, cocking his eyebrow as his eyes fell from Chay's face to the sabre in his hand.

"Don't hurt yourself, darlin'. It's sharp."

"I shouldn't hurt myself so that you can hurt me first?" the words slipped through Chay's lips before he realised what he was saying, but it was too late now, the words were already out in the world and by the look on Kim's face he definitely heard them.

Kim cut the distance between them in an instant and backed Chay to the table; dark eyes seeing right into Chay's soul, "let me guess—my little boy overheard the conversation outside."

Chay tipped his chin up and cleared his throat, "I'm not a little boy... and yes!"

One corner of Kim's lips twitched upwards forming something that vaguely resembled an amused smile. He opened his palm in front of Chay and cocked his head towards the sabre still in Chay's hand, "would you be so kind, darlin'?"

Chay nibbled on his bottom lip nervously, contemplating whether he should give up the only weapon he had right now to defend himself, but it wasn't a hard decision; everything inside of him was screaming at him to not overthink things and just believe Kim. So, Chay gulped down and slowly he returned the sabre to its rightful owner.