☠︎︎ 17. New Land ☠︎︎

— take a deep breath and close your eyes

the water will take you away if you are nice

you don't have to worry, you don't have to scream

you are safe, you are with him —

Year of our lord 2023 — Phuket

Water. It was everywhere. In Chay's eyes, in his mouth, in his lungs. He felt like he was suffocating, but that shouldn't be happening. He didn't fall into the ocean. The Ruby Red did, but not him, right? He didn't... he didn't... remember falling over the railing. All he remembered was Kim's frantic voice calling his name and then silence. A complete silence enveloped him as if everything in the world had gone quiet. All Chay could hear was the thumping of his heart, scared and shocked, ready to burst open.

And then his body hit the shore. Sand. Beach. He was at the beach. But how did he... He started coughing. All the water that was suffocating him left his body almost as fast as it entered. He lay down on his back, his chest heaving frantically up and down as he was staring at the azure sky, the sun shining right down at him.

He wasn't on board of the Reckoning anymore. He wasn't even at the ocean. Was he... was he at least still in the 18th century?

The answer came almost immediately. Just as Chay was lying on his back, staring at the sky and trying to calm his heart, he saw a plane. Right there, high above him, a plane was making its way towards its destination. A plane. So, definitely not the 18th century. But if Chay wasn't in the 18th century anymore.

Chay sat up, frantically looking around.

Kim. Kim had to be here as well! There was no way. No way they were separated. They couldn't be. No. No. No.

"Kim!" Chay yelled out. Standing up, he ran back into the ocean waters. "Kim! Kim!" Chay started mumbling to himself, "oh my god, Kim, please, you have to be here, you have to. Don't leave me alone." "Kim!" he yelled out again, and then he finally spotted it. There was a disturbance in the water not so far away from him. Chay's heart skipped a beat. He didn't waste a second to move towards that disturbance, calling out Kim's name over and over again. And then, when he was almost there, he heard his own name being called out as well. The voice was weak and raspy but it was Kim's voice. Chay knew it. He knew it so well. And then he finally spotted Kim. Kim's head appeared above the water's surface. He was coughing and panting for air, but he was there. He was with Chay.

"Kim! I'm here. I'm here," Chay called out to Kim and seconds later he finally wrapped his arms around Kim's body and started pulling him out of the water, not stopping until they were back on the shore. He rubbed Kim's back until Kim got all the ocean water out of him.

Kim was here. Kim was here. They time-travelled again, but it was all okay because Kim was here as well.

"Fuck," Kim groaned, he looked at Chay and reached out for him, pulling him closer. "Are... are you alright? Chay, are you alright"