Chapter 73 | What Goes Bump In The Night

Bryan's POV

Normally I'd get home a bit before Dinner so I can make something, but I ended up getting stuck in a last minute interview at work so I couldn't.

Inpu said he'd deal with it since he'd have to get groceries anyways, so I ended up just sending him a list of what to get while I finished up as soon as I could.

Once I got home, the moon was completely out, but I noticed there was still one light on.

Confused as to who would still be awake, I went inside to see Inpu and Crystal on the couch watching something.

"And I thought you both didn't get along"

"I still don't know if we are, she made me watch the godfather, I've been critiquing it the entire time"

"Why did you make your father, who you know if a big position in the mafia, knowing full well he'd critique it?"

"Cause its funny, plus I can't watch rated r movies with the triplets and Artemis, so dad was my only choice"

"Do you both plan on staying up long?"

"Its almost over, we saved you some food from dinner, if you'd like to eat you can watch the rest with us"

I didn't respond, just went to grab the food that was left for me, and sat down on the couch with the two of them.

Once the movie finished, we all went to our rooms to get changed before going to bed.

All I did was snuggle with Inpu in bed while we slept, like normal, until we heard something from the other room.

Thinking it was just one of the kids, I went to grab my phone for a light, so I didn't have to turn the lights on, but Inpu stopped me quickly before grabbing the case with his gun from the closet.

He held his gun up while we walked around the house, and once we noticed Crystal was still awake, we had her move the rest of the kids to her room to keep them safe.

I really don't know what I was thinking by following Inpu around the house, but it was almost like I had to follow him.

Every small sound made Inpu's ears twitch, and it wasn't until we were on the other side of the house we even knew why.

Someone was in our house, it was obvious that it was just a thief, no one from a mafia, but they were in out house none the less.

I moved so I wasn't easily seen while Inpu went forward with his gun drawn, before making himself known.

"Hands up if you know what's good for you"

"Huh- wha-?"

"I know you can hear me, so look me in the eyes, put your hands up, and state your business"

"Uh, I was merely trying to get something to cover my rent"

"Bullshit, thieves like yourself go for kills, I know you were trying to steal stuff, then kill my family"

"Alright, smartass, then tell me how you know?"

"Because thieves like you are well known by mafia, everyone sleeps with a gun close because of people like you who pose a threat"

"You-you're in the mafia"

"Bitch, you're looking at the motherfucking mafia boss of the Anubis Mafia"

He started to step back a bit before we heard someone coming down the stairs.

The thief took the time to run, and ran past both Inpu and I, so we both started to run after him before we heard a gun go off.

When we went over and saw what happened, to see Artemis cowering behind his sister who had her gun out, and the thief on the ground with a bullet in his leg.

"Artemis, go upstairs, NOW"

He wasn't listening to me, which just told me Artemis was in shock, and not long after, the triplets came rushing down as well.

"Kids, rooms, NOW"

"Dad, why do you have a gun, I thought Crystal was the only one who kept one"

"Hers is technically mine since she can't own one yet, mine is because of my work"

The thief spoke up not long after, clearly wanting a response out of one of us.

"You know, for the daughter of a mafia boss, you really do have a bad shot"

Inpu and Crystal both had their ears down at first, to keep their aggressive look, but after he said that, both of them went to shock with their ears pointed up, which alerted the rest of the kids.

Not long after, Artemis came running over to me before Crystal walked towards the thief until he was outside, and once he was, she moved away from him and Inpu shot him.

Once everything set in, the triplets started to hide behind me while Artemis was shaking in my arms.

After a few minutes, Inpu gave me the look he normally did when he had to change due to blood on his clothes, so I tried to console the kids while he went to change, and of course, I got a handful of questions from them.

As soon as Inpu got out, all of us went to the table, knowing we'd need to have a serious conversation.

"So, I know you guys have question, so ask away"

"Why did you join the mafia, papa was gone for so long, but that didn't mean you had to go to crime"

"I wasn't in the mafia because Bryan left, I was born into it, like each of you, only difference is I'm making it so unless you want to be involved, you don't have to"

"Does that mean when you take Crystal to work, she gets to kill people?"

"She hasn't done it for work yet, only time she has was because someone was refusing to pay, so they shot me and watched me as I was close to death, only reason I live is because of your father and sister"

"Did papa know?"

"Yup, I knew, it was the reason we met in the first place, but we have stuff in place now so it doesn't affect home that much, we just got unlucky tonight"

"Why not tell us, it would've made each of us worry a lot less when Arti was born, it would have made us a lot less scared when we had strangers watch us as we played like normal"

"Because we didn't want you involved early on, it was something Bryan and I talked about before Crystal was born, so we kept the plan as each of you were born"

Each of the kids just tried to wrap their heads around what happened, and after a bit, Crystal took them to bed while Inpu and I decided to talk.

"Am I doing the right thing by telling them the truth?"

"Hard to say, if we ask your parents, they'll say yes, but if we ask my mom, she'd probably say no, its just one of the hard parts about parenting, sometimes you just need to take a leap"

"But we've had this planned out before they were even born, we said we'd wait till each of them were 16"

"I know, but we were put in a situation where we had no choice, I'd rather doing this now before something happens where we aren't there and can't address their concerns then"

Inpu just nodded and we stood there for a few minutes before we realized we should get into bed ourselves.