Chapter 17

Harry was taken to the hospital just five minutes after the paramedics arrived and Josh's lifeless body was bagged and taken away from the property shortly after detectives collected there pictures and evidence.

Niall and I were forced to stay at the house for questioning. It took all of thirty minutes to talk to the local detectives. Although it was clear that Josh had committed suicide, they still found a million questions to ask us.

Once the detectives were satisfied and the property was cleansed and striped of any evidence as to what happened an hour ago, they left Niall and I alone.

Harry called and insisted on me staying with Niall to make sure he was okay. He said he had called the others and Paul and that they would all crowd the little cabin house in a few hours.

Oh, just wait till my mother hears all of this.

Niall sat on a retro looking grey chair and starred out the back window. The sun was rising and his eyes were transfixed on it. Never moving, never making a sound. He sat like that for two hours, refusing to talk or even look at me.

Harry and the boys would be returning soon so I left Niall alone to watch his sunrise while I set two tea pots out for the boys. I poured Niall a cup while I was at it. I walked back out to Niall and he still sat upright in the chair.

I let out a slight sigh and walked to his side slowly. I stood beside Niall, waiting for him to acknowledge me but he didn't. I sighed again and set his tea cup on the floor. I turned to walk away when Niall caught my closest wrist.

"Stay. Please." His voice cracked.

He let go of my wrist and patted his lap, signaling me to sit on his lap. I wanted to make Niall happy so I did what he wanted. I sat in Niall's lap, placing my hands on my knees. Niall put one hand on my hands and the other on my back. His touch was purely innocent.

It reminded me of when I was a child and my parents would fight or I got a scrap on my knee and my older brother would sit me in his lap and shield me from the outside world and help me feel safe.

And that's how I thought of Niall. Another protective brother.

Niall looked a mess. His usually high standing hair laid flat on his head, some strands sticking to his forehead. His eyes were lost in another world. It was obvious that he was grieving in his own way.

"He was like a brother, ya know? I mean, before he betrayed us all." Niall said lowly, his eyes not making contact and still lost.

"I know." I said softly, suddenly finding my thin fingers interesting.

"I hated him for what he did. I wanted to kill him, make him suffer the way you and Harry did." He said, his hands tightening.

"I know.." I said again.

"But tonight, he..he was the old Josh. My brother again. H-he said he was sorry for what he did and that you were safe now before he.." Niall stopped right there, not wanting to say the words he was thinking.

"I know, Niall. I'm so sorry you lost a friend. Not just tonight but also the one you lost over a year ago." I spoke softly and with care and then held Niall to me as he sobbed onto my shirt.

I heard the door open and looked up seeing Paul first, he gave me a funny look but moved as Harry wobbled in on crutches. His leg was the first thing I noticed and then I looked at his face. His expression was confused, but I held my fingers up to my lips and pointed down at the crying boy in my arms. Harry understood and turned around, probably signaling the others to be quiet as well and to come to aid their friend.

The boys walked in with sad expressions as they all laid eyes on a broken Niall that still clung to me like a child not wanting to leave their mom for their first day of school.

Liam was the first to approach Niall. He knelt down beside us and put his hand on Niall's back.

"Niall, buddy? It's going to be okay." Liam comforted.

Niall stopped sobbing and only whimpered as he lifted his head and whipped his eyes. I kissed his salty cheek and slowly stood up to walk over to my brave injured husband and let the others comfort Niall now.

I stood beside Harry and placed a hand on his lower back.

"You're an amazing friend, you know that right? I doubt Niall could get through this without your compassion and caring." Harry whispered, not taking his eyes off of Niall.

"He came to my rescue, so I had to return the favor." I whispered back and shrugged my shoulders.

Harry looked at me now with so much regret and love. It was almost like the two emotions were battling each other and Harry didn't know which to feel more of.

"I'll make it up to you, I swear it. How about I start in the bedroom in about ten minutes? I need to properly thank Niall for taking care of my woman." Harry said, he gave me a wink and hopped over to Niall's side as I walked back to the bedroom.

I was still wearing the torn and bloody clothes and needed a good hosing down. I quickly stripped and walked into the bathroom, turned on the shower, and stepped in. I quickly washed my hair and scrubbed down my body. I frowned at my flat stomach. Although I wasn't looking forward to gaining weight, I was looking forward to having the belly to prove Harry and I's miracle.

I rinsed off and stepped out. When I went to grabbed my towel I noticed the underwear and over sized shirt that was neatly folded for me. I smirked as I dried off.

Oh, Harry.

I put on the two articles of clothing and walked into the bedroom. Harry was laying in the bed, but he was sound asleep with the little snores to prove it.

I shook my head and smiled.

'So much for making up.' I thought as I walked to the bed. I pulled back the covers on my side of the bed and got in. It was sunshiny outside but Harry and I deserved to sleep the day away and it was a relief to know that I was finally safe, thanks to Josh.