Chapter XXVI

Amalie stirred from her slumber on that crisp morning, her senses tingling as she felt an unexpected weight encircling her waist. Confused and still half in the realm of dreams, she instinctively swatted at the object pinning her down.

" Ouch ! What the hell ?". Baji's startled yelp pierced the air.

Blinking away her drowsiness, Amalie realized the object was none other than Baji himself. 

She chuckled nervously," Sorry... I must have thought I was in my room. I didn't mean to go all ninja on you".

" You could've given me a kiss on the cheek for waking me up".Baji teased, his mischievous grin evident in his voice.

A warm flush spread across Amalie's cheeks," Bloody idiot. What happened again ?".

" We spent the night scheming against Kisaki, and somehow we dozed off. It's crazy how that guy managed to lull us to sleep". Baji explained, stifling a yawn.

Amalie, realizing the urgency of the morning, requested," Can you let me go ? I need to check my phone".

Still somewhat in a dream-like state, Baji furrowed his brow in confusion. It was only when his eyes widened that he realized his unintentional hold on Amalie's waist.

" S-sorry. I wasn't fully awake...". Baji stammered, embarrassment coloring his tone.

Amalie scratched her cheek, a touch embarrassed herself, before reaching for her phone. Numerous messages from Kol awaited her, inquiring about her whereabouts and hinting at potential mayhem if necessary. After a swift response, she sighed as a call from Wakasa came through.

" Hello, dear big brother". Amalie answered.

" Where are you ? You didn't come back home last night. Is everything alright ?". Wakasa's concern echoed through the phone.

" I'm fine. I spent the night with a friend, and I forgot to tell you. Sorry". Amalie reassured.

" I see. Well, I'm relieved to hear that you're fine, but next time, give us a heads up". Wakasa advised.

" Will do. I need to go now. See you tonight". Amalie replied before ending the call.

" Worrying brother much. Shame on ya for making him worry like that". Baji remarked.

Amalie grinned, retorting," Your fault entirely. Well, I need to rush, or I'll be late for school".

As she stood up, adjusting her disheveled hair, Baji suggested," You could skip, you know. I don't get why teachers turn a blind eye when you're absent".

Amalie playfully stuck out her tongue," Because I have stellar grades, unlike some people".

" Shut up !". Baji retorted, grabbing a nearby pillow.

Amalie giggled, skillfully evading the incoming pillow as she closed the door behind her. However, her smile faded when she noticed the discerning gaze in Baji's mother's eyes. Uncomfortably glancing aside, Amalie offered a nervous smile to Ryoko.

" So, sweetheart, would you like to stay and have breakfast with us ?". Ryoko inquired, her warm smile creating a comforting ambiance.

" Oh, no. That's really kind, but I'll head home to change clothes and grab a quick bite before school. I still have some time. But thanks for the offer". Amalie replied softly, bowing gracefully as she made her way towards the entrance.

" That's the least I can do ! Don't hesitate to come back whenever you want". Ryoko said, her hospitality lingering in the air.

Amalie waved at her as she put on her shoes before leaving the apartment. After her departure, it wasn't long until Baji emerged from his room with a slight yawn.