epilogue

*6 months later*

"I can't believe there's no snow at Christmas"

Dana looked out the window at the bright, blaring sun and the blue sky. It was Christmas Eve and it still felt like summer in California, it was quite the change from the blistering cold weather back in Hawkins.

Robin had been telling her it was so cold one day that the pipes in her house froze and she had to stay at Steve's for the night which she was less than enthused about considering how loud of a snorer he was.

"You can't seriously be missing the bad weather" Billy laughed.

"Like I don't miss it but it feels kinda unchristmassy" Dana pouted.

Dana was used to her traditions at Christmas and being in California had interrupted all those, she didn't mind of course but it still felt strange. She reminded herself that she would make new traditions with Billy in their new home that they had spent months making their own.

It was a nice sized house near the beach, her inheritance and selling the house in Hawkins really helped them secure a sweet place. It had a few bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms and large family room. It had a perfect view of the ocean, one that Billy would often go out surfing on in the early hours of the morning while Dana was still asleep. It felt like it was made for them.

"I forgot to say I picked up an extra shift this morning" Billy said.

"But it's Christmas Eve!" She protested.

If she couldn't be back in Hawkins then she wanted to spend her Christmas Eve with him watching bad movies and eating snacks.

"I know baby but it's double rate and i'll be home by five" He assured her.

She nodded her head feeling deflated by his choice to pick up an extra shift especially when they were financially stable and they didn't need the extra cash. Normally he tried to leave early if anything so he could spend more time with her.

"I'll see you tonight" He smiled placing a kiss on her lips.

"See you tonight" She replied "I love you"

"I love you"

With that, he made his way outside and sped off in his car. She was glad that he had found a job he liked, he had started out as an apprentice mechanic but had picked it up quite quickly and was now in a junior position and doing really well. She figured all his time spent cleaning and fixing up his Camaro had really come in handy.

She on the other hand had picked up a small part time job, Billy insisted she didn't need to work at all and he would be the breadwinner especially after her finances got them the house but she liked having something to do while he was at work.

It was a small bookstore about a ten minute walk from their place and it was just her and Joe; the owner who was in his sixties. He was really nice and constantly gave Dana recommendations of what to read and let her basically just browse the selection he had whenever she wanted. It was an easy job especially with how laid back it was, it was nice and relaxing.

She decided to do some baking like she usually did on Christmas Eve. Despite not having her usual people to hand them out to, she figured she could give them to her new neighbours and Joe. She hadn't made a whole lot of friends here yet but they'd been so focused on doing up the house to have much of a chance. She had met a few other partners of Billy's coworkers who seemed really nice so she hoped she could get closer to them and build a nice friendship group out in California.

She missed Steve and Robin a lot but she talked to them regularly on the phone and they promised they would come out and visit soon so she looked forward to that. She missed Hawkins a lot more than she thought she would but she was really settling in to California.