Losing Streak

BAM

The sound of a sniper rifle echoes through the hills, its bullet whizzing by. Apple in your mouth, you begin to scamper from your position behind a hill. A glint from a scope is visible in the distance. 

BAM

 Your body collapses to the ground. Anything you had gathered fell out of your inventory as a drone came in to transfer you to the main hub.

Cursing, as you shake and tussle your head in frustration, there is no way the gods of the current season haven't cursed you with something. Maybe you had killed Cerberus one too many times to gain his abilities. But why you?! Plenty of others were going after Zeus or Ares! The god of war himself!

Queing up for another match you watch the person who scoped you take your Ares medallion and the assault rifle. A person with a sun for a head and red hoodie. Aside from that he seemed to have better gear and continued on his way. Running into a 3 way fight the number of survivors quickly dwindles. Snickering at the notification that someone had died falling from 'not sticking the landing'.

'Guess they didn't have any wings' You thought, sitting down and leaning back on a nearby pillar. Unfortunately, you couldn't see how the game ended as a drone beamed you from the main hub to the waiting isle.  Opening your map to see where the bus would be flying over, checking for any quests you could complete, the usual miscellaneous tasks. Including checking your friend list for anyone who was online for a match. Two of them being in duos which you quickly closed the window to. 

Boarding the bus you note a few familiar faces, Peely especially, he gets a fist bump from everyone on the bus. He could do no wrong, the life of a party. With how quickly the bus travels, and your destination, you were one of the first to thank the driver and jump off. 

Destination: The Underworld

Lucky for you a rare chest was the first thing in your line of sight as you landed on a high area. It does pay off to drop obsessively in the same areas over and over again to the point you memorize every chest spawn point! Getting a pair of wings, a rare huntress DMR, and an uncommon SMG, you could work with this. Shield potions are the next needed thing. Most players, if they have found any, would drink them already so killing for loot isn't ideal. 

That was the train of idea if shots weren't thrown at you, prompting you to jump from whatever high space you were occupying. At this moment you would have equipped your wings to save your self but you had butterfingers running on adrenaline. You hadn't touched any of the green water for dashing which you cursed internally.

[USER] did not stick the landing. 

To make things worse that sun person from before witnessed you drop to your death. Leaving your items for him once again. The brief moment you were able to see his expression of unexpected surprise made your coding burst out laughing amongst the rage you were feeling. The focus of the broadcast did pan to your killer though, unable to reap any rewards. 

Once again back to the main hub, you don't even bother watching the guy who killed you. Instead, you head for a stall selling loaded fries. Of course, there were other food stalls with more of a proper meal but who knew how long you had before your next match. Something quick with plenty of protein would suffice. 

"You good there, buddy?" With loaded fries in hand, you turn with a gooey fry in your mouth to see Imani, a friend of yours who was busy in duo's earlier, alongside Dara. 

"Could be better," You shrugged as you continued munching. Not offering your fries, they were yours and made to perfection. "Died by falling my last match."

"That's a classic way to go." Dara nods her head. "I didn't have wings or dash last match in duos, if my build wasn't there from earlier Imani would have had to sprint across the map to recover my card."

"You still looked scared shitless when you tumbled down those stairs." Playful shoving shoulders the two laugh at the new memory. 

"You guys do rank duo, right? Thinking of going into those competitions?" Taking another forkful of fries, this, was the best time of your day so far.

"Yeah, we might. We'll get you tickets to see us win if we get invites," says Imani. "But you have been on the grind again, bestie. I don't think there's been a moment you haven't been in a match today."

"Trying to get better." You didn't bother to look up much, primarily focused on your food. Looking up to get a good look at them felt just a bit much right now. "How's everyone else doing?"

"They do a lot of ranked these days or just don't battle as often. Being gay or domestic or something." Dara shrugs. "We should make a round together sometime though. See if you got any better, ey?" Playfully punching your shoulder she gives you a wink.

Looking to the side your muscles tense at that comment. Throwing away your cleaned-out paper plate you check your phone. Que had finished up, drones were ready to take you to the waiting isle for your spot.

 "I have a match to get to so... I'll talk to you later." Calling for the drone you don't give a look, nor even a proper wave. Those last few moments before your sights fades out, Dara takes a hesitant step forward. 

But nothing is said. 

(948 Word Count)