Chapter 50: Ashes and Fire

CHAPTER 50: ASHES AND FIRE

It was a bad dream and I thought I would wake up any moment now. But the blood in my hands as I caught Uncle William from falling on the ground was as red as the fire that destroyed my world. His pale face as he stared at me and mouthed a silent apology was as cold and punishing as death. That's when I knew that it was a horrible nightmare and I was living in it.

"Dad...?" It was Zoey's voice that put me back on my wits. It wasn't a scream nor was a whisper. Her call was audibly clear but the expression on her face was something I couldn't fathom. Nanatili lang siyang nakatayo habang hindi-makapaniwalang pinagpalipat-lipat ang tingin kina Uncle William at Aunt Martha. Bakas sa anyo nito ang kalituhan kung bakit nagawa iyon ng kaniyang ina. At nang masalubong nito ang malamig na tingin ni Aunt Martha ay saka lang bumalatay rito ang takot.

And I had seen those eyes before. It was the haunting look of knowing that she had lost everything. I met those pair of orbs every time I look into the mirror after that tragic night.

"Why? Why did you do that? Ano'ng kasalanan namin sa'yo?" namamaos ang tinig kong tanong.

Isang ngiti ang gumuhit sa kaniyang labi. Napakainosente at sinsero ng ngiting iyon at naaalala kong ilang beses din nitong napakalma ang aking damdamin noon. Kaya nama'y hindi ko inaasahan na isa lang pala iyong napakagandang maskara.

"William is becoming useless. He can't even tame a weak girl like you. Now, I had to do everything with my own precious hands," wika nito at nagsimulang humakbang palapit sa akin.

Awtomatiko akong napaatras. Wala akong mapagpipilian kung hindi ang bitiwan si Uncle William at gumawa ng distansiya habang hindi inaalis ang tingin kay Aunt Martha.

"Why did you have to kill my parents? Kung pera lang ang habol mo ay maibibigay nila iyon!"

Isang malakas na pagtawa ang kaniyang pinakawalan. At bagama't nakaangat ang dalawang sulok ng mga labi ay matalim naman ang mga mata nitong nakatingin sa akin. "You're wrong. Harry and Eleonor refused to be a part of the EOL Project. They wouldn't even release a dime to fund it. They said all they've built is meant for you thus, I had to kill them. And you were supposed to be dead as well if not for that half-Freniere boy!"

Napailing ako habang inaalala ang mukha ng aking mga magulang. Their presence had always been my comfort until I saw them lying lifeless on the floor. And they died trying to protect my future. Even in their last breath, their thoughts were about me. Kasabay ng pag-init ng aking mga mata ay ang galit at paghihinagpis na aking naramdaman.

"You're heartless! We are innocent! How could you betray Uncle William when he had always cared about you!"

Ang kaniyang ngiti ay bahagyang nahaluan ng pait. "Oh, I know William loved me. I really thought I had him wrapped around my fingers. Until he became a hinder to my plans. Don't you know how many times he had tried to stop me? I couldn't believe that he could hurt me when he learned that I used his money to pay assassins to kill you. He was willing to a give me a huge part of Devereaux Corporation in exchange of your life!"

Nahigit ko ang aking paghinga sa narinig. Kung ganoon ay mali ang iniisip ko kay Uncle William. Tila kinurot ng konsensiya ang puso ko sa aking nalaman. All this time, I thought he hated me. And I even thought of returning with hatred as well. I painted him as a bad person for hitting Aunt Martha when he just did that to stop her from hurting me.

"But I don't want a huge part in the DevCorp. I want everything in it – power, money, and influence. I have planned my revenge against the Frenieres and I could only do that if I have the Devereaux Corporation. And I knew I wouldn't be able to get it if you're still alive. That's why, I decided to erase you slowly and in the most subtle and yet creative way of killing," pagpapatuloy nito.