Chapter 7

It took me longer than I would like to admit, to shake of the feeling that I got when Treech left. Something about the whole interaction left me in a state of discomfort. One that had me pacing around for a little while until Coral threw a walnut at me to get me to quit it. Which earned her an eye roll from me, and elbow to the rib from Mizzen.

I stopped pacing after that and just went back to my spot in front of the tree. I sit there for a while and when it starts to get dark I decide maybe I should try going to sleep now. I tried too until a walnut fell on my head. I get irritated at the disruption, and just throw it at the fence. I notice that it cracked open, and then I realized I could have been eating the walnuts the whole time instead of juggling.

I let out a quiet huff towards myself since it took me so long to realize it. I slowly get up and walk towards the fence where the now cracked open walnut lays. I pick it up then take it back to my spot by the tree so I can examine it. Once I deem it edible I finally pop it in my mouth and eat it. It's not bad, so I take a rock and crack open some more and eat a few. I feel eyes on me and see the girl from eight staring at me. 

I look at the small pile of walnuts I have in my hand then I stand once again and make my way towards her. When I am in front of her I crouch down and hold out my hand for her to take them "you can have them, they are safe to eat" I whisper.

She flashes a toothy grin and scoops them from my hands. "Thank you" she says, before excitedly waking up her district partner to show him what she has.

I don't see the rest of the interaction because I choose to go back to my tree where I lean against it. I adjust my hat so it covers my eyes, then I let myself drift into slumber.

I am rudely awaken by the sounds of peacekeepers banging against the fence. They are shouting at us to we get up. I know the drill so I get up and walk over to where they are rounding up tributes. They quickly slap some chains on my wrists and shove me into the back of a caged truck. I just stare towards the ground as I wait for what happens next.

Once all of the tributes are in, the trucks speed off, and I hear the sounds of distraught. "what is it this time?" I mutter to myself. It isn't until the girl from three starts throwing up that I bring my head up. I see a sobbing Dusty, and petrified Mizzen in front of me who are both looking up. I bring my head up as well, and regret it instantly. 

There hanging from a crane is the lifeless body that was once known as Brandy. I can feel bile rise in my throat, and anger rush through my veins. I feel my body fight the urge to vomit like the girl from three, and to curse out the air like Coral has been. This is cruelty taken to the next level. 

After a few minutes I finally look away from the girl hanging above us. I see Dusty crying in his hands, and Mizzen still frozen in place. "Hey Mizzen" I whisper yell. He starts shaking his head and I tell him "you shouldn't look it isn't going to get better" he finally looks away after that, and just sadly looks at the ground. I feel pang a sympathy for the poor boy in front of me. He is far too young to be here.

After some time I hear people talking and look up to see some kind of funeral service. I look around to see many fancy dressed capitol citizens gawking at the scene before them. I can feel my face start to grow hot with anger, and I glare right back at them. I continue to do so until I spot Treech already looking at me with an unreadable expression. I start to feel almost embarrassed under his gaze, so I look away.

I avoid looking at any one for the rest of the time we are in the truck. I just keep as straight of a face as I can until the trucks start to roll again taking us someplace new.