XIV

The next day dawned with a sense of heaviness lingering in the air, the weight of impending decisions and uncertain futures pressing down on both Yoojung and Ni-ki

As Yoojung went about her day, her thoughts kept drifting back to the conversation she had with Ni-ki the previous day. The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on her mind, the weight of responsibility pressing down on her shoulders.

She knew she couldn't afford to get hurt, that the fate of both realms rested on her decision. Meanwhile, Ni-ki found himself grappling with his own inner turmoil. He had a mission to accomplish, a duty to fulfill, but the thought of erasing someone's existence weighed heavily on his conscience.

Plus, he couldn't shake off the sight of Jungwon.

Lately, Ni-ki found himself increasingly irritated, the weight of the mission and everything else pressing down on him like an unrelenting burden.

As the day wore on, tension simmered between them, a palpable undercurrent of unease threading through their interactions. Each moment felt fraught with unspoken words and unresolved tension, the weight of their shared burden pressing down on them like a leaden cloak.

Yet, amidst the uncertainty and apprehension, there lingered a glimmer of hope, a flicker of determination that refused to be extinguished. For better or for worse, they were bound together by fate, their destinies intertwined in ways they were only beginning to comprehend.

As she hesitated in the middle of the street, overwhelmed with stress, Ni-ki materialized seemingly out of nowhere and swiftly pulled her to safety on the other side."You need to be careful," he admonished, his voice tinged with concern.

She couldn't help but notice how protective he had been also while acting cold. It was funny to her.

A playful smirk danced across Yoojung's lips as she teased, "I think you're starting to care about me."Ni-ki's response was a scoff of disbelief.

"Me?" he retorted incredulously. He continues to lead her to an alleyway to argue with her. "I'm only doing this because I have to."

"Yeah, me." she insisted, her tone light with humor. "I know I'm charming," she added with a playful wink.

He seized her shoulder, taking her by surprise, and a yellow glow emanated from his eyes, signaling that he was temporarily removing the spell from her heart.

Instantly, she felt the intense pain she had been shielded from due to the spell's effects. As she writhed in agony, he taunted her with fiery red eyes. "I don't care about stupid Humans," he sneered, his words laced with disdain.

"Don't get attached to anything," Heeseung firmly says. "Never give yourself a reason to fail your mission. No matter what."

"What makes you think that I'd get attached to anything?" Ni-ki confidently chuckles.