Prologue

YOOJUNG

YOOJUNG

When I was seven years old, I met two weird, young, handsome men.

Wait - before we get back into that story - I want to explain who I am. I am Yang Yoojung, the youngest child to Yang Jungwon and Jang Yona. I have an older brother named Yang Dawon who is eleven years my senior.

As a child, I was peculiar in comparison to the rest. I learned things fast, already I had a complex vocabulary, my skin was scarily pale, I had superior sense of smell and hearing, and I had Vampire-like teeth.

Some of those may not seem bad, but keep in mind, I was seven.

Contrary to the grand minds that belong to children, I was - and still am - not very imaginative, so a lot of my perspective is straight forward and to the point. I'm not nearly as profound with words or descriptions as someone like my mother is.

Sheesh, my mom is quite poetic. If you ever go into her mind, or if she ever wrote a story about her life, she would ramble about everything in a detailed manner. Who would want to read something so intricate and difficult to comprehend? I often wonder how she has so many thoughts at once.

Anyway, back to the story:

I was playing in my parent's backyard when the two men I mentioned earlier suddenly approached me. I wondered how they had gotten there, did they jump over the fence? How?

It didn't seem like my babysitter let them in, either. My babysitter was a joke of a babysitter, not gonna lie. While I was outside, she was inside on her phone.

I wasn't really scared of the two men, though. They didn't give me a reason to be scared yet.

The first thing they said to me was "What year is it?" At first I thought they were psychos for not knowing that. Even I knew that, and I was seven!

I continued to stare at them with animosity until one of them, the one with the most facial moles, smiled at me. His sharp canines popped out and shimmered.

I was bewildered.
When I paused to stare at them, I realized that I had the same, exact ones.

I had never seen such teeth on anyone else before.

Their names were Sunghoon and Heeseung. They told me they weren't Humans and were mythical creatures revisiting a place they used to reside, which happened to be around the area I lived.

Could I have been one of them?

I could still remember what the sky looked like when they arrived. It was a cloud iridescence, one of the rarest sights of nature. I'd like to believe that they were the cause of it.

Anyway, they told me they knew my parents. I didn't question that. My parents knew a lot of people. Though, my parents never mentioned anyone like them. Sunghoon and Heeseung asked to see them.

I showed them my father and mother, and they looked satisfied when they caught a glimpse of them. Though, I noticed that they suppressed a level of shock they had. I'm still not sure why.

Honestly, I have a lot of questions about what the heck happened this day. If they knew my parents, why were they hiding? Why have my parents never spoken of these people? I doubt they'd get answered anytime soon.

After catching a glimpse my parents, they told me to never speak of this with them... especially not my father. Easy. Furthermore, they asked that I not reveal those inhuman side of me. That was fine, I guess. I had always been amazing with keeping secrets. I did wonder what they were trying to hide, however.

Then, they told me that it was time for them to go. There was a sense of urgency in their tones. Apparently they couldn't stay long. They told me they'd return, though.

Thirteen years later, I'm twenty now, and I haven't seen them since. It's as if they disappeared from existence.

From time to time, I do wonder what the hell happened that day. It was so random as well. Will they actually return like they said they would?

Well, that was the last thing on my mind.

Right now, I live in my own apartment and have a part-time job as I study journalism in one of the best universities in Korea.

I'm too busy pursuing success to think about the two bizarre men I encountered thirteen years ago.

Besides, it's not like they're going to pop out of nowhere anytime soon.

Right?

Welcome to the finale of
Lovers in the Night