10

Ransom

I have a pre race ritual. I just crouch there in front of the car and think for the few moments before giving a couple of punches to myself just under my collarbone. It started when Ari died, as a kind of motivational gesture to get my mind in focus, but for me personally? To show him I've got this.

I did exactly the same today, and muttered an apology to him for finger banging his girl. She tastes fucking delicious though - and that got my mindset focusing on winning.

And I did...

I cross the line, securing P1 as the mechanics all hang over the fence and cheer at another victory. It's not always victory though, sometimes it can be P2, or if me or another driver has fucked up then it means a shittier place on the track.

"Nice one Ransom, P1" I'm told through my radio and laugh with relief, seeing everyone cheering and clapping. Well Vipera fans anyway.

I drive up to the marker that has 1 there and get out, running over to celebrate with the rest of the team who are congratulating me. The first race of the year, and we get the podium. It's always a relief, even on the days I think that I drive complete shit.

"Well done mate, congratulations - absolutely brilliant". Guy comes over and gives me a clap on the back. He's been watching on the monitors

I look around, trying to catch a glimpse of whether Sutton's camera lens is heading my way like it sometimes does, but she's nowhere in sight. "Come on, podium". Guy continues and steers me away. After that I'll be able to change and then it's onto the usual post race interviews. Thankfully Marta is there recording everything so my words can't be twisted like the press have tried to do in the past.

Then I see her, Sutton is hurrying over with her camera to hand, but instead gives me a quick hug. "Cameras". She warns and then presses her lips to mine as we go back into acting mode. Perhaps I need to switch careers at this point.

She's a good kisser, I can't deny that. Her lips are soft, plump, and for a moment I find myself imaging just what they'd look like wrapped around my dick. That's when I know I need to break this off and pull away. "See you after the interviews". I tell her as she nods with her academy award winning smile.

Another moment passes me by and for that I actually do believe that she's my girlfriend, and that she's here for me.

It's all for the team. Nothing else. Not even you. Women only have ever wanted you for your money or who you are.

Kinda depressing when you think about it. No wonder I've never really made it my mission to get myself a girlfriend. Not when it's hard to trust people. I can't even trust my own family. No one.

Maybe that's why no one has that for me either. Not even my own Team Principal believes that I can survive the season without fucking up. He may be singing my praises now, but it could all be taken away more than usual. In this job, everyone has their necks on the line. You can easily be replaced...

I get weighed, make a stand on the podium, do some signings and manage to get through my interviews without wanting to commit murder - then I can finally head back to the hotel to eat and relax. Travelling always is a killer, and we're only just getting started.

"Well that went well". Marta says as I go back to my drivers room to grab my stuff.

"Be proud. I didn't fuck up and say what I really wanted to". I smirk and throw my things into my backpack.

Marta smiles. "How's all the stuff going with you and Sutton?"

I shrug. "Sutton is just Sutton. Lives and breathes the team. The PR relationship is just an extra".

"Hmmm". Marta replies, although she doesn't sound convinced. "But you're getting along, right?"

"Yes". I roll my eyes.

Well, after earlier we now seem to be getting along better than we were before.

"Good. I know it must be awkward considering that she was Ari's girlfriend".

I turn to her with some irritation at the comment. "You know, I really wish people would stop fucking bringing Ari into the conversation. He's not here anymore". I check my watch. "I'll see you soon, I need to go get some sleep".

I leave her without another word, not even knowing whether I'm supposed to be meeting Sutton so that we can go to the hotel together. I head out and sign a few more autographs before jumping into the car with Curtis that will take us back to the hotel. Breathing a sigh of relief, I sit back and look out of the window, really needing the sanctuary of my hotel room.

"You good?" Curtis asks

"Hmm?" I glance over at him, not really listening. "Oh, yeah - just tired".

Not exactly a lie.

I'm thankful for the shower that I take once we're back, I had one after the race - but this one is needed more. I can finally feel somewhat fully clean. I turn it off and grab a towel from the rail, wrapping it around my waist.

Knock knock

Finally, room service. I'm starving.

"Just a sec". I call and then look through the peephole.

Shit.

Opening the door, Sutton is standing there, her eyes go from mine to my towel and then back to me again. "Sorry, I'll come back later". Her cheeks flush slightly, like the sight of my dick isn't going to make her half as awkward as she might feel for me having a taste of her earlier.

"It's fine, come in". I stand aside to let her pass and close the door once she's inside.

Now she turns to me with a small but shy smile on her face. "So...seems like I really helped to get you focused earlier..." her words sound like they have some victory to them.

This is gonna be an interesting conversation for sure.