2

Sutton

Pre Season- Vipera HQ - England

I've barely seen dad during the time that racing season has off. He's either at the office working with engineers to ensure the car this year will be right - and even then we won't see until pre season testing - or he's been holidaying with my mum. I have no other siblings so it's just me. Now I'm here at HQ for a meeting that dad has called, although I'm unsure as to why.

On pulling into the car park, I see Ransom exit the building in irritation, he takes one look at me before he gets into his car and speeds away - the wheel spin is out of anger, I can tell.

Walking into the building I make my way to dads office and see him massaging his temples at his desk - his assistant, Claire, saying something to him while Ransom's manager, Benoit Blanc, is also talking. They all stop and fall silent as I walk in.

"Am I interrupting something?" I frown, wondering why I've actually been summoned. I was expecting a massive meeting between all parties before testing, but no one else is here other than the angry racing driver and his crew. Even then he's gone, so whatever has been said has pissed him off. Not a good thing before the season's even begun.

"No, no - come in Sutt". Dad says and looks up at me with a tired smile. "I'm guessing you just saw our newest recruit?"

I nod and close the door, although the whole office has glass around it so people can still see in. "I did, what did you do? Don't tell me he's gone before this has even started?"

Thankfully dad shakes his head. "No, but I laid down some terms and conditions. One in particular that he's not happy about, but it's the only way we can ensure he's gets back in the good graces of the press".

Ah yes, I can recall him telling one journalist to "eat shit" after he quashed rumours of Zephyr kicking him out - hence the move to us.

"Riiiight?" I draw out with some uncertainty- not sure of where this is going.

"He's gonna lose his seat if he carries on with the attitude he has - he's on thin ice from the very start. But as I said, he needs to get back in favour with the press, and perhaps fans - which is where we need you to come in..."

Oh no...

Both Benoit and my dad are looking at me now, and suddenly I know I won't like what I'm about to hear. "He needs good PR, he's got the team but he needs that extra boost this season. Plus it will be beneficial to the team if we're in the tabloids. Sutton, we need you and Ransom to 'date' in order for this to happen".

I stare at them. "I'm sorry, what?"

I have to be in a fucking PR relationship? And with a man who pretty much looks at me like I'm the most offensive person to him on the planet?

"It'll mean you guys need to be with one another constantly. There will be cameras, you know what it's like. It's just for this season, but we feel this could make a lot of people see Ransom in a better light, and perhaps give him the focus he needs to take the world championship. Dating you? That's the press attention right there".

I have to be with him all the time? That means arriving with him to races, being out and about with him in between them, attending events inside and outside of the team, and above everything? Being the best actress for the cameras that are now a fixture in his life.

"And he's agreed to this?" I ask with some disbelief.

"No. He was told this was how it will be or he's off the team". Blanc shrugs.

Damn, even his own manager agrees with the decision. "I see, I don't suppose I get a say in all this?" I look from Blanc to my dad and Claire. Even she looks stressed out by all of this. I dread to think of what was said in Ransom's meeting.

"Netflix have approached us for a documentary about Vipera, they'll begin filming as of next week right through until the last race of the season. Of course I should've told you this sooner but we didn't decide on the PR aspect until recently". Dad explains. "We've already arranged an opportunity for the media to get pictures next week. Just you and Ransom in London, the filmmakers will also be there. Please Sutton - we have a lot at stake this year, not just on the track but off it. If you won't do it for Ransom then at least do it for the team".

Yeah, you're telling me.

"Dad...if you think I can change a guy like Ransom Drysdale? You're wrong".

"We're not asking you to change him Sutton - just to help him get his head back in the race. No more outbursts at the media, no more attitude. Can you at least try?"

I'm silent as I contemplate what this means for me. "Do I at least get to carry on with my job?"

Dad nods. "Obviously. I'm not asking you to become a full time girlfriend. You're still as much a part of the team as ever. This is just an extra project in some ways".

A project? It's a damn excursion in my eyes. If I do this then it means putting on an act, something I'm not so sure that either me or ransom are capable of. And if I don't? It could mean the possibility of losing a world champion either before or early into the season.

I can't take that risk. Dad has taken a big one, and I'm gonna do all I can to ensure we are that winning team this year and Ransom another world championship under his belt.

"Fine. I'll do it..."