19

Sutton

We took more than just a couple of videos and photos. I have a whole album full now on my laptop, hidden as something else. Not that anyone else looks through it anyway. It's just so they weren't sitting on my camera. Of course I sent the files to Ransom who was more than happy to receive them, so I trust they've been keeping him busy in between races - especially as the last couple haven't been great for us. First one was a car issue and the next was a minor crash between Ransom and another couple of cars. Not his fault of course - but it hasn't done any wonders for his mood.

Currently the team are in the post qualifying debrief, and I can tell that Ransom is probably laying down a few things about the car to the mechanics and engineers. Painful for my dad to hear of course, but things need to be addressed. That's the whole point of it.

I'm just in hospitality having a coffee and waiting for them to finish.

The Miami Grand Prix has finally come around - the one I've been dreading and that Ransom probably just wants to get over and done with. I honestly don't know how I'm able to come back year after year - but I do. I have to push what happened aside and focus on the now.

We're P6 in qualifying, and I'm hoping that Ransom can work us back up to getting another podium, because after the shit show that has been the last few races, we need it badly - and so does he. The frustration is clear.

After the debrief is done and the team is happy, we head back to the hotel. Usually we go out for dinner or something but considering what race we're at? We decide to keep to our room and order in. Ransom had barely said anything apart from the odd question since we got back, and I decide not to press him. He's thinking about the race tomorrow - it's obvious. So I leave him to his thoughts and try to be normal.

"Do you think the car will be to our advantage tomorrow?" I now ask, sitting cross legged on the bed while eating the room service that arrived earlier.

"Maybe. Just gonna have to see". Is all he says.

Once he's finished eating, he takes a shower and changes into his nightwear. "You mind if I get an early night? I'm gonna need it". He asks.

I nod. "Good idea. Think I could use one too".

By the time I'm changed and ready for bed? He's already asleep, and I slip in next to him - wanting to just wrap my arms around him, but not to risk waking him. Instead I just lay next to him and hope that he's in a better mood tomorrow.

**

Then

I wake in Ari's arms as usual. It's race day and I shift to get more comfortable, rousing him in the process. He pulls me into him more and kisses my forehead. "Sorry". I murmur.

"It's fine, what's the time?" He asks and I check my phone, showing it to him. "Guess I should get up and ready if I wanna get this race in the bag".

We're going to arrive together like we've been doing since our relationship became public last year. At first my dad wasn't impressed but considering he saw how happy I was - he accepted it, knowing that I wouldn't listen anyway. So much so that he's even been in talks with Ari about him possibly joining Vipera.

We get ready and head to the track, cameras snapping away as we walk into the paddock, Ari signing some things and taking pictures with fans before that. They all love him, but not like I do.

Of course it's a beautiful day in Miami and he greets fellow drivers as we walk along. Even though I'll be in our garage for the race, I'll be watching him mainly. Sure I want my dad's team to win, but my boyfriend? I want him to win more.

"Ready Ran?" Ari pokes his head into Ransom's drivers room across the hall from his.

"I'm always ready". I hear the confident statement but don't see him.

"Your ass looks big that suit". Ari smirks

"Fuck you Levinson". Ransom shoots back in good nature. "I'd say your head is getting too big for that helmet of yours".

Ari shrugs. "What can I say? I am the better driver". Ransom says something I can quite hear and Ari just laughs before walking into his room. "How long you got before you need to go find your dad?" He asks.

"Gonna have to go in a moment - but I'll see you after yeah? When you win?"

He makes a face. "Don't let daddy hear you say that - rooting for the enemy".

"I'm dating the enemy aren't I?" I grin and kiss him gently. "Love you - have a good race".

He steals another kiss. "Love you too - go on, before your dad bursts in here and says I'm distracting you from your job".

That was the last thing we ever said to one another. After that the last I saw was his car rolling and then bursting into flames as it hit the wall. Along with everyone else, I could only watch in horror knowing that he wasn't going to make it out alive. I'd already accepted his death before it had even been confirmed.

"Sutt? We going?" Ransom asks a little impatiently, grabbing his backpack.

I come out of my daydream and nod. "Yeah - let's go".

The sooner that this race is over with, the better.