31

Two Years Later

**
Ransom
Bahrain Grand Prix

Here we go. The first race of the season - and I'm finally back after being out for longer than expected. I was meant to return last season as I'd wanted, but other personal matters made me decide to ask Guy to extend it for another year. I'm in a hell of a good place now though. I look back on pictures of me that Sutton took a couple of years ago and can't even recognise the guy in them. But it was me, and I'd like to say I've changed for the better.

Curtis and I were leading in qualifying yesterday so I'm hoping this season is my ultimate comeback that people will remember. There was talk of me taking early retirement in the media, but I shut those rumours down immediately. I've still got a good few more years left in me yet.

That's if my fiancée lets me...

What? You thought me heartless enough to have not have asked her to marry me by now? Ok, I may have asked earlier than I thought I would, but I love her - and there's nothing left that's stopping me.

I still think about Ari, and yes I'm not looking forward to Miami, but it's not the same level of dread that I used to have. My therapist (yes I'm still seeing her every so often), says that I need to look at it as honouring Ari, the same way I do at every other race. I haven't driven the track since walking out, but this time around it's going to be different. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days, but not as many as I did have before. Right now I'm right where I want and need to be in life. 

My family haven't tried to contact me again, well once, but I didn't reply. I've spoken to Harlan though, and as I thought, he cut everyone off as they were taking advantage, well, except me...

I told Harlan I didn't need his inheritance, and he agreed - but that didn't stop him from telling me that he was still leaving it all to me. I know my family are gonna be in for a shock once he is gone, and sure, I'll have them trying to contact me again, but they can fuck off.

"Ransom radio check". The chief engineer now says through my earpiece.

"All good".

"Got a lot of people rooting for you today". He says. "Let's get Vipera back on top again".

I'm all but ready to kick Hamilton ass. He's currently back in fourth position. Boo hoo.

And it begins...

I've got my drivers head back on, holding off everyone who's threatening my position. In my ear the engineers tell me to box for a tyre change, and do so on two seconds flat before I'm out there again. Back on the radio they're telling me how many seconds people are behind me, telling me to keep the same pace, however many laps are left - and when it gets to the last one I push myself harder than ever.

Not to the point of stupidity though. That's when you lose yourself and maybe the race altogether. I can't afford that shit. This is my first race, my comeback. And I'm here to win. 

I do win...

I cross the line and it all begins to sink in. 

I've won. I'm back. Everyone who ever said I was done and didn't have any faith in me were wrong. I know this is only the first race of the season, and it can change. But I'm going for that championship good and hard this year. 

I pull up into the spot with 1 marked there and get out, heading over to the team who now grab at me to congratulate me. Guy comes out from the garage and pulls me into a hug, clapping me on the back. "Fucking brilliant, commentators are saying it's the best race they've ever seen from you". He grins. 

It feels amazing, but now I look around for the one person who I want to see. Ok, sure I saw her before the race, but I know she was in the garage watching alongside her parents and the rest of the team. To say she was nervous was an understatement. 

"Where's Sutt?" I frown and then see her.

She hasn't come back to work still, so instead of the usual team shirt and clothes that she used to wear, she's sporting a long flowy sundress. To be honest I'm not sure that she'll come back at all. She says she will, but the person she's carrying on her hip is more important to us. 

Our daughter. 

"Da". She holds her arms out and I take her, giving her a kiss on the head and then also planting one on Sutton's cheek. 

"Well done you". Sutton smiles and kisses me again properly this time. "She was pointing to the screen all race and yelling at you". 

I snort. "Like Mommy and Grandpa then". 

Yep, Blaire was certainly someone who we didn't see coming along, hence my extended time off. I wanted to focus on her and enjoy her before I threw myself back into racing and giving everyone a heart attack again. She turned one just last week and two weeks before that was on her feet and walking about for the first time. I won't lie when I say that I freaked out when Sutton told me just weeks after my parents visit that she was pregnant. Then again, kinda our fault for being careless. 

It gave me a new reason to get back to my old self though, and a new purpose in some ways. Not once did I ever see myself with a kid. Now I can't imagine life without her or Sutton. 

They are one hundred times worth more than any championship or podium win put together, and they're mine. Something that I can finally call my own. 

My family.