Chapter 15:Swapped fate

There were thousands of compartments for each number. I simply went to the middle compartment labeled "8."

"Okay, after you have chosen your numbers, I hope you have positioned yourself inside the compartment. Each compartment can accommodate 20 members, so please move to another compartment of your number if it's full. Basically, the number you received determines the door where you will be present. All of you must reach the 9th door and collect all the number cards beginning from yours to 9 and successfully come out to win the challenge. Only those who win will be given the Sierra's Stone. To pass, you need to successfully finish the game within the time limit; if you exceed it, you are automatically excluded or disqualified. This is an individual game, so please focus on yourself. There are no teams or groups here. The rules of each game will be explained to you at each door from 0 to 9 by the host. If you are in the 9th door, then you only have to clear one round, so all the 9's are very lucky. The higher your number, the fewer levels you have to clear, increasing your probability of winning. All the best, do well." With this, Caporasso ended the instructions.

This is the first time luck has given me a boost. I just need to clear two rounds, and I'll be done. Yes, I can do it!

"The roles of the special cards will be explained now. A +4 card allows you to skip four levels, but only if there are five or more levels ahead of you. It's mandatory to attend the last level for everyone. A +2 card lets you skip two levels, but only if there are three or more levels ahead of you. The reverse card can revive either you or anyone else back into the game; I recommend you always use it for yourself. A skip card gives you an extra 20 minutes of time. A color change card provides you with four colors; the color you choose allows you to eradicate or change a rule present within that color rule book. Therefore, a whole group can utilize this. The swap card helps you swap your number with any number except 9," said the host.

"Now the privilege cards will appear alongside your badges for any 6 out of the 10 who are present in the same light grid."

I'm once again entrusting my fate to luck's capricious hand, hoping for the boon of a reverse or a skip, a well-timed skip or reversal could alter my destiny. As an 8, the allure of the +4 and +2 cards eludes me. If, perchance, another in my light grid acquires a swap, they would assuredly exchange with me, for as an 8, I am their sole permissible target as they are not allowed to swap with a 9. If that's the case, I am doomed. Now I wish I got a 7. A reverse next to my badge appears; this just tells me I did get a special card. Yes, Wow, this is of some use.

 Nathan got a skip ,Kate, Tyson and Aiden didn't receive any special card . I actually feel so sad for Nathan for getting a zero, he has to play all the levels but Tyson got a 6 and Aiden with a 4 along with Kate. She was sad when she bid farewell like a kid seperating from her mom.

"Now, may I call out the swap card owners to raise their hands? Yes, now you all are given the opportunity to swap with anyone," said the host.

As the swapping begins, I silently implore all the gods to ensure she is oblivious enough not to select me for the swap.

"Grace moves to 2, and the swap owner Maison moves to 8. Risa-4; Ginga-8, Yusuf-3 ;Harry-8... Sarah-8; Alysa-5... Lastly, Rysa-7; Taper-8."

Sarah mouths "sorry" and moves forward. "Wow, what in the world have I ever done to deserve this? For once, I thought I had it my way, only to have the universe send me a clear sign: 'No, you are wrong.'"

I return to 5 as if I were playing a game of snakes and ladders, and the snake bit me harder than ever before.

I hope nothing untoward occurs now. I must focus on clearing these 5 levels for the time being. Oh, God.

As the compartment door closes behind me, enclosing 20 people inside, I realize there are a lots....infinite more doors ahead. What is this game?

"The rules of game number 5 is...."the voices echoes inside the compartment