Chapter 7

I pulled my phone out from my pocket as I realised I had it and called Jake. I stayed at Julie's house until James and Jake arrived.

They went back to the house and did a thorough search of the house, finding nothing they came back to Julie's house to let me know it was all clear.

I followed behind James and Jake followed behind me. I was shaking uncontrollably and James must have seen.
"It's ok, we'll stay with you." He said as he held my arm and gave a comforting smile. I returned it to show I was grateful for his help.

I walked into the kitchen to find the pizza box on the counter. I opened it to see if there was actually a pizza inside, there was. I was tempted to eat a slice because I was starving but I didn't know what he had done to it.

Next to the pizza was the same white envelope I found at my dad's grave. I opened it to find the same contents but the note was new, this time it said
'Put the picture together, your mothers counting on it'

I was about to leave the kitchen to tell James what I found before I was interrupted by my phone vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it out curiously, then I saw a alert that I had a new message. I stopped in my tracks, scanning my eyes over the message. I covered my mouth and was close to tears when Jake walked in. I jumped and locked my phone and acted like I was fine.

"Oohhh, pizza." Before I could stop him he took a bite. "This tastes nice you should try some."

I waited a little while to see if Jake had a reaction of some sort, as though he was my guinea pig.

I put the note back in the envelope and put it to the side so James or Jake didn't ask questions. The text kept replaying in my head so I had to do what it said to keep her safe.

'Tell the police, I slit her throat.'

I can only guess he was talking about my mom, since she was counting on me. I took the envelope and ran into my bedroom and shut the door.

I emptied the contents onto the purple fluffy rug. In the corners of each post card was a number. Once I figured it out I started to put the postcards in number order and matching the different colours and images. It took me five minutes to solve the puzzle.

I had finished most of the picture and took a step back so that I could see what the picture was altogether. I can't say that I particularly liked this picture.

It was a dark room with only one light source. It was a few wires with a light bulb hanging. My best guess was that it was some sort of warehouse. In the centre was a chair with a women tied to it, her mouth was duck taped. The light shone down on her like a spotlight. I gasped and cried as I looked at her eyes blood shot with tears. It was my mom in shock and fear.

Knock, knock.

I grabbed all the postcards and shoved them under the bed. I tucked my thin tangled hair behind my ear.

"Come in." I watched as the door opened, It was Jake.

"Just checking in." I smiled but he continued to stare straight in to my eyes. Worry and confusion started to suffocate his face. "I know this might not be a question I should ask but, Have you been crying?"

I shook my head but tears started to run down my face. I covered my face with my hands but I could hear he's footsteps coming further into the room. I felt a hand wrap around me comfortingly. I tilted my head until It was leaning against his chest. I had my back against the bed and after a while it started to hurt.

We sat there silently. That's what I really needed silence and a friend. I felt selfish for pushing Kate away so I decided in the morning I would do my best to get along with her. Once I felt a little better and the tears stopped flowing. I lifted my head and thanked him.
"For what?" He questioned.

"For just being here, and not talking." I replied.

"Am I that bad?" He joked and I chuckled as a reply. We sat there face to face for a while and I realised I loved him.

I turned away and stood up. It was silent again. He broke it by saying.

"I almost forgot, the reason I came up is because James thinks Ian could be watching you because he knew when we weren't keeping watch. He also knew when you ordered a pizza."

His words shocked me but it was true, it all made sense. I nodded my head to show I was listening. then I remembered the pizza when my stomach rumbled. I stood up and headed downstairs after him. We went into the kitchen and ate some pizza.

James was on the phone to his wife and kids, trying to explain why he couldn't come home, I felt bad. James sighed as he entered the room.

"I'm sorry."

"What for?" He said whilst grabbing a pizza.

"You should be with your kids but instead you're here." He took a seat next to me.

"Honestly it's not that bad you have pizza." we all laughed and continued to eat. I started to get used to James and Jake I thought of them less as cops but more as friends.

"Kiera, I've been meaning to ask you, where's your mom? haven't seen her in a long time."

I started to choke on my pizza.
* cough, cough*
"Where's my what?"

"Your mom?"

I tried to think of something believable in the short space of time. "Oh, she's gone to a work thing, she said she might stay with a friend or at a hotel."

I tried to change the subject so my mom wasn't on their mind because they would start to dig out questions.
"I'm going to have a shower and go bed, do you want to use the bathroom first."

"Yeah" James said. "I'm just going to eat first."

"Okay" we all finished and they helped me tidy up. I kneeled down and picked up the knife which still had his blood on it. I felt someone looking over my shoulder.

"You ok?" I took a breath and stood up.

"Yeah"

He took the knife out of my hands and asked. "Who's blood is this?"

I took the knife back and washed it.
"I cut his face before I ran, it's his blood."

He looked at me differently, like he was scared or like I was a killer.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I turned around and watched James go to the bathroom leaving me and Jake.

"We should get your beds ready."
I walked into the living room and Jake followed. "I'm going to go get the blankets and stuff. I could use a hand." I smiled at him and we went into the spare room which was more like a storage room.

I heard the bathroom door unlock and open. "James we're in here!" I shouted to him. "You could sleep in here if you want? But you and Jake would have to sleep together. "

"No thanks, I'm ok on the sofa. I don't want my wife to find out I couldn't stay because I was asleep with another man." James said I laughed as I tried to grab the blankets. I gave one to James and held the other. Jake was about to take it out of my hands when I said

"You should use the bathroom whilst me and James set up the beds." He nodded and walked out the room. He had a facial expression that gave me the feeling I offended him. Once I heard the bathroom door lock and close I whispered to James.

"I think I offended him."

James shrugged he's shoulder. "He'll get over it."

I nodded my head as the guilt burned inside me wishing he did.

~~~~~~~~~~•••••••••••••~~~~~~~~
Remember to vote, comment and follow me. 😊

This chapter might have been boring and I apologise. I'm going to do a lot of POV changes in the up coming chapter.
Love you guys, bye.
~~~~~~~~~~•••••••••••••~~~~~~~~