Chapter 14

Jakes POV.

I sat in the car and waited for James to arrive. Kiera left before I could even try to tail after her.

A car pulled up in front of me and I frowned anticipating a lecture from James. He walked up to the car door and I rolled down the window.

"What happened?!"

"Well... She said she was going out with a friend and I told her I would drop her off, then she refused my protection and said, and I quote, you can't force me to accept it. Then she went before I could follow her."

He shook his head and sighed pinching his eyes. "You had one job."

He went back to the car and told me to head back to the station, to report back.

I walked out of the captains office and didn't dare look at James. I felt like he was giving me a death glare, I could feel it burning through my skin. I walked back to my patrol car when James said "I could have lost my job."

"I'm sorry."

"Well you better hope they find her. Do you want to call her mother, or should I? Scratch that you might say the wrong thing."

I kept quiet knowing that every time I talked back, it would annoy James. He dialled the number and we waited. There was no answer, so James called again.

"Hello, this is officer James warren, I was just calling to inform you that Kiera went missing yesterday afternoon."

There was a pause and James gave me a confused look and finished he's sentence. "But I assure you our team is doing everything in our power to find her."

There was another pause, but this one was longer. "Oh I see, okay, sorry to bother you. Bye." With that James hung up.

"What happened? What was with the face?"

"When I told her her daughter was missing there was no reaction just silence, which is strange because when she first went missing, Zoe was... Broken, But then she said that Kiera was meeting her on holiday, but Kiera said she was at a work thing, right?"

"Yeah she did, and before she left she told me she was going out with a friend, I only ever saw her with one girl. We should start there."

I was about to go to her university when James grabbed my arm.

"Where are you going?"

"To question her friend"

"Haven't you messed up enough? You're an officer, not a detective. We need to report back to the captain, and please this time don't say anything."

We walked back in and officers would stop and stare. It was the first time in a long time something like this had happened.

James knocked on the door and waited. He closed he's eyes and mumbled something under he's breath, like he was praying.

"Come in."
When the captain saw it was us he did an exaggerated sigh and gestured us to sit down.

"I just got off the phone with her mother and she said Kiera was with her, but Kiera told us her mother was at work and Zoe told me she was on holiday."