Chapter 18

Chapter 18: The Rogue Bludger

A few days have passed since the incident with the writing on the wall and the attack on Mrs. Norris that petrified the cat. Filch kept pacing the spot where she was attacked and anyone who got close to that corridor was chased out by the caretaker. He even tried to give them detention by breathing or passing by him as he tried and failed to clean up the bloody words. It appeared that the message was enchanted to stay up no matter how hard it was scrubbed with soap, water, or magical items meant for cleaning.

After that Halloween, both Harry and Hermione spent some time in the library looking up anything that could cause petrification. "Find anything," the Prince of Hell asked his bushy-haired friend.

"No, nothing so far. And nothing about the Chamber of Secrets either," Hermione told him as she was looking through one of the books. "And to make things worse, all the books about Hogwarts have been taken out."

"Seems we've reached a roadblock. Is there anything we can use?"

"Just one thing, but I want to ask it during Professor Binns' class," Hermione told him.

"Ugh, do you have to ask him?"

"Do you have a better idea?"

Harry looked at Hermione as he couldn't answer. "Well, I can see why you would want to ask him. But do you think he will talk about the Chamber?"

"It's not like any of the other professors are going to talk about it. So Binns seems to be the only other choice we have."

"If you're able to convince him to give us some useful information, I will let you know one secret about my mother," Harry told her. "Good thing the next class is history," Harry said as he closed the book he was reading as they both left the library and joined up with Ron in class.

Just like always, History of Magic was completely and utterly boring. Professor Binns was jabbering on in a droning voice like he was an old vacuum cleaner until nearly everyone was in a deep stupor, occasionally coming around long enough to enter a name or an important date. Harry was ready to raise his hand just so he could ask instead, but Hermione made her promise and shot out her hand. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if... you can tell us about the Chamber of Secrets," Hermoine asked as every student looked interested within the second.

"Young lady, I teach the history of magic, not myths and legends," Professor Binns said dryly as he was about to continue his boring lecture once more.

"Professor, aren't some myths and legends born from small facts," Harry added, helping out his friends as every student murmured in agreement. "Plus, isn't this school important to magical history?"

"You're not wrong, Mr. Magne. One can argue that I suppose," the ghost of a teacher agreed. "Very well. As some of you must know, Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by four great witches and wizards of their time. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They built this castle from prying muggle eyes as magic was feared by common people, causing witches and wizards to suffer from persecution. If you ask me, those 'burning at the stake' executions are inhumane and barbaric. Plus, a skilled wizard or witch could put it out easily." He paused as everyone seemed to look interested in the subject before continuing. "For a few years, the founders worked hard in harmony together, seeking out youngsters who had potential in magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated. Three of the founders coexisted with one another, and one of them did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective with the students within Hogwarts. He believed that magic should be kept within all magic families. He disliked taking in students who were Muggleborn, believing them to be untrustworthy. Seeing as he could not convince the others, especially Gryffindor, he left the school."