Chapter 21

Chapter 21: Follow the Spiders

The next day after classes, Harry was telling Ron and Hermione about what he witnessed with the diary as they stood in the courtyard of the school. "So wait, Hagrid was the one that got expelled 70 years ago," Hermione asked as this was starting to make sense as to why he was not allowed to carry a wand and was forbidden to do magic to a degree.

"And he got blamed for it," Harry added that part specifically. "From what I saw, the creature Hagrid had with him was an Acromantula. From what I know, they're in the same class as a Basilisk when it comes to how dangerous they are."

"Great... a large spider that can kill witches and wizards," Ron said as the look on his face said that he was somewhat terrified. "I'm not trying to be mean, but why does he have a thing for collecting dangerous beasts? A dragon, a three-headed dog, a giant spider. What's next? He owns the Basilisk?"

"Seriously, Ron?! Do you even hear yourself," Hermione roared at the red-haired wizard. "Hagrid's our friend. He would never harm any of the students."

"Precisely. That's why I say we ask him about what really happened 70 years ago," Harry suggested to them.

"Oh sure, that will be a cheerful visit. Hi Hagrid, are you keeping something mad and hairy somewhere outside the castle? What can go wrong," Ron said sarcastically.

"Mad and hairy? You wouldn't be talking about me now, would you," Hagrid asked as he was right behind all three of them, overhearing Ron.

"No," all three of them said in unison, looking up at the half-giant. They all looked at one another as if to say something. There was a long awkward silence between the four of them until Harry spoke up first.

"What do you have there Hagrid," the Prince of Hell pointed out as he saw a green metallic container.

"Oh it's flesh-eating slug repellent," Hagrid told him as he showed the label on the container. "For the Mandrakes, you know. According ter Professor Sprout, they still need some growing up ter do before they're chopped up and strewed before everyone is unpetrified. In the meantime, best be looking out for yerselves. Alright?" The three of them nodded in response as the half-giant turned around and headed back to the castle.

"We should still ask Hagrid," Harry tells them both. As they were going to their next lesson, Neville was running towards them. "Neville, what's wrong?"

"Harry..." Neville said as he was catching his breath. "You have to come to the Common Room fast! Somebody robbed you!"

The three Gryffindors looked at one another and then followed their housemate to the Common Room. After saying the password and running up the stairs, they saw Harry's belongings were all over the place. His bed was torn apart, his figurines were broken on the floor, the trunk broken into and papers scattered everywhere. Harry's jaw dropped as he walked over to where his belongings were he looked over everything to see what he could manage without the repair charm.

"It had to be a Gryffindor. No one else knows our password," Hermione said as the Prince of Hell looked over his stuff.

"Whoever it was, they must have been looking for something," Ron said as he saw that only Harry's stuff was broken into.

"And they got what they needed. Tom Riddle's diary is missing," Harry said as he got up and used the repair charm on all his belongings. 'But why take the dairy? Sure there were many stuff more of value and made in Hell. But why take that book of all things?' He couldn't think about that right now. His main objectives right now were to talk to Hagrid about the Chamber and his schoolwork.