Part 4

Chu and Daqing were nervously waiting for Yunlan in the reception, not even sure that he would come but were glad when they saw his unmistakable red car park outside the gallery, and went to open the main door and let him in, before they locked up again.

"I'm glad you came we have a lot to talk about." Chu told him as he led him towards the private office at the rear of the large showroom. Yunlan glanced to his right sadly, as he walked past the paintings, remembering what a wonderful time he'd had and felt his anger rise at the person who had taken away Shen Wei's memories, which immediately brought his thoughts back to why he had come.

"I nearly didn't make it here, some joker fired this at me, and if it wasn't for the whip, I would be dead," and Yunlan gave the feathered dart to Chu, who took it carefully out of the bag, unwrapped it and sniffed at the tip.

"Mm, it's a fast acting poison, I've smelled it before. Someone fired it at you?" Chu asked, surprised that Yunlan had been targeted.

"Do you think I would make something like that up, yes it was fired at me, but what surprised me more was the whip stopping it ...  It's just a whip but it moved on its own." 

"Do you mind Yunlan, let me see please." Chu asked and watched as Yunlan slipped off his jacket and revealed the whip resting around his arm with the grip towards his hand. It had been a long time since he'd seen it and knew that Yunlan's life was going to change soon but it was very obvious that this man didn't believe in anything that couldn't be proven without tangible evidence.

"He's called 'The Little Master' and he has a life of his own. He is an ex-deity and will defend you when needed even if you don't ask, because he's linked to your emotions." Chu explained as Yunlan stared at him thinking he was nuts.

"You know you sound completely crazy just now, but go on, explain a few more things to me." 

Yunlan's attitude was one of disbelief even before anything was said, there was no way he was going to accept a new concept of life, and Chu sighed, this is going to be difficult without proof, he thought.

"If I start with some photos maybe that would make it easier to understand and it may sound even more crazy by the time I've finished explaining. This is the photo I showed you this morning, Shen Wei is Black Robe and he is a very powerful being, but his memory has been damaged intentionally by someone for whatever reason, we don't know who or why. Think about it Yunlan, use your mind. Shen Wei is two people. He is the man you care for with a very powerful side that someone wants to subdue for their own reasons which can't be good. Wei has been fighting for this world his whole life, keeping people safe from danger. Whoever it is, they will go after you next, because they now know you are linked with Shen Wei."

This seemed to make some strange kind of sense to Yunlan and Chu offered him some coffee while he showed him some more photos and 'The Fire of Love' was one of them.

"Explain this one to me Chu, because if these were part of Black Robe's memories, then this really happened, did they die or escape?"

"They escaped Yunlan. Wei had been kidnapped with your ancestor and dumped in a forest where they found an old cabin. Wei lost his memory after he bumped his head and when the fire started during the night, the only way for them to escape was for him to remind Wei, that he could ... teleport ... and you both landed on the library floor with severe burns to your ankles, and ..."

"Teleport ... " Yunlan shouted as he continually stared at Chu even when his coffee arrived.

"Yes ... He can do a lot more than that, but I'm not sure you're ready to hear anymore." Chu said slowly, enunciating every word. 

The phrase powerful being was replayed over and over in Yunlan's mind, along with teleporting and his family being at his side, but it wasn't the same image he remembered.  The attractive weak person who had collapsed in a baker's shop or the one who had kissed him lovingly last night, and he came to a decision.

"I totally don't believe anything that you have told me but I do think that Wei is in danger from someone and I would like to help. Would you be able or willing to hire me as a bodyguard? I know that I would need to explain this to him every morning  because of his memory, but I'm willing to do that."

Chu looked at Yunlan and could see his sincerity before he glanced at Daqing who nodded in agreement.

"Yes, we can do that, but you won't be the only one guarding him. He has his own six loyal guards who know of his condition and they would obey you. They have to introduce themselves every morning as well. Having you in place would help them. He hasn't started any work on the ruins yet, just the plans and drawings. Daqing will also be there."

It was the best result Chu and Daqing could have hoped for, but it was going to be painful for Yunlan to meet Shen Wei as a stranger every morning until they could stop the person responsible for his condition.