Part 7

Shen Wei gave everyone the impression of being bright and smiling, which was his usual appearance every morning but he didn't like this house, too much glass. The only good thing about it was that he could work from his own private office and the bedrooms were upstairs. He could stay in or go out depending on the weather, and the food was great because he'd brought his own chef and all his staff. He remembered why he had moved here, and tried to imagine it as a holiday and at times especially in the morning, he began to wonder how long he would need to be here. He had been given the task of drawing out plans for a new building on the old college grounds, but he knew that it was a cover story, the criminal was after something else, probably the AI Programme.

This morning it was Guo Ying who was bringing his breakfast, and had already gone to fetch it for him but it was difficult for the guards having to deal with Wei's memory loss because they never knew the reason behind his behaviour and he couldn't tell them. Wei heard the rattle of cutlery on the tray and knew that Ying was close by, so he arose and hurried to open the bedroom door for him.

"Thank you Ying, this looks lovely, I could easily have gone down to the small dining room and eaten, but this is nice."

Ying took the tray over to the larger table and set it down before he stepped back and spoke to Wei.

"Is there anything else I can get you My Lord?"

Wei stared at him with a puzzled look, this was about the third time Ying had addressed him as My Lord this morning and he wished he wouldn't.

"There is one question, why do you call me My Lord? I'm just me, nothing special, just an architect." Wei knew the reason why, but he was aware of the watcher who might question the behaviour of the servants and realise that they were more than they appeared, they were guards.

"All our guests are referred to as Lords or Ladies, it's just something we do in this hotel."

The guard gave this answer knowing that sometimes Shen Wei thought he was on holiday and Ying bowed as he left the room quickly, before his façade collapsed and he wouldn't be able to hide his emotions, but he passed Yunlan in the hallway who could clearly see how visibly upset this guard was and he stopped him for a moment.

"We will end this soon, Guard Guo," he said as he put his hand on Ying's shoulder who nodded in respect the same way as Yunlan had witnessed with Daqing and Chu recently, before he vanished in front of his eyes.

Wei heard another tap at his door which was opened before he could reach it, and Yunlan entered to introduce himself while Wei went back to eat.

"Good morning Shen Wei, I am Yunlan your bodyguard, how is breakfast this morning, and did you sleep well?"

"Yes I slept really well," he lied "can't remember if I was dreaming or not, but I needed the rest. Breakfast is lovely but there's no orange juice. The waiters call me My Lord, but it doesn't suit me, just use my name Yunlan."