Part 36

Kunlun eagerly watched from where he was, hoping that nothing would go wrong. It was the twenty-fifth anniversary of the official opening of this complex. It had been hard work to begin with but now it was a successful law enforcement agency, and he again wished that his two favourite people could have seen it this year.

Ying had kept up his habit of visiting the attic even when there were no new pictures. He would sit and relax with a hot drink and look at the old ones remembering everything that they did, but the artist would clear them away every so often, just to make space and start again. Today was a clearance day with one new picture. Ying studied it closely. He didn't spot anything unusual about it, they still looked exceedingly happy and as long as they kept smiling, he was happy too.

Everyone had adjusted to the idea that they were on a very long extended break and knew that they would return because the date had been ingrained into their minds. Occasionally when Chu couldn't find Daqing, he knew where he would be, prowling around the bushes at the back of the cottage keeping watch on them. Only his eyes saw the smallest of movements and it improved his well being when he could be here with them.

In the Weilan Complex, celebrations were about to begin with the opening speech from Kunlun who made an unusual appearance on this occasion to welcome everyone and then hoped to leave as quickly as possible. The admin building was quiet today with only the receptionist present to guide anyone who was lost and came for directions. Zhu Hong hated this part of her job, she was a detective and she was stuck behind this desk while everyone else was out enjoying good food, music and freedom to wander around the gardens at the back of the complex, not normally open to the public.

She had counted the separate window panes which formed the front glass wall of the building and considered doing the same to the large tiled roof high above her head, but instead ended up studying the two portraits that hung on the wall behind her. Finally she gave up and took out her nail varnish, no one was here and she was bored beyond belief.

Two visitors approached the admin building but only one entered while the other waited outside. Hong was working on her other hand when she saw them coming towards reception and continued with what she was doing as the handsome dark haired one stood in front of her desk.

"Excuse me but could you direct us to the celebration ceremony, we've never been here before?" and he smiled kindly to this 'bored to be here person.'

Zhu Hong studied him. He seemed genuinely nice, the smile looked real and she cast a glance at the other outside who shuffled as he was waiting. Definitely a couple, he tried to see through the one way glass a few times while he was waiting on his partner, and gave up. She explained how to get to the garden, following them with her eyes as they headed in the right direction before going back to her nails. She had finished and was proudly looking at her work, when she thought about the face who had been peering through the glass and spun around to look at one of the pictures on the wall behind her. He was almost identical.