Part 38

The accident and emergency department was busy that night. There was a mystery driver from a car accident who had been admitted with no identification, they assumed that it was destroyed when the car blew up and then there was Shen Wei who was the victim of a massive stroke. He didn't stay long in A&E before he was transferred to the intensive care unit while Chu, Ying and Yunlan followed. It took a while for the ward staff to finish their examinations and set up the equipment to monitor him before they would allow one visitor at a time to come in and see him.

In A&E, the staff were trying very hard to keep the young driver alive, but his injuries were extensive and they had doubts about his recovery. Therefore as soon as they were able, he also was transferred to intensive care but to a side room where the machines were attached to monitor his condition.

The staff didn't expect either patient to live, but miracles had happened in this unit before, so they could easily be wrong in their assumptions.

Chu and Ying had been in to see Shen Wei for a few minutes each, but the staff allowed Yunlan to sit for as long as he wanted because they knew what his relationship was with the patient. He hadn't cried since yesterday and now he couldn't, he'd reached the acceptance stage and felt nothing as he sat quietly watching Wei breath while listening to the machines all around him. Alarms were beeping from others but Wei's technology was steady and comforting as it repeated the same pattern of noise and lights, almost hypnotic with a calming effect.

Black Robe had left Wei after he had been transferred to intensive care, to visit Kunlun and they spoke of the possibilities of this new host who might be dead soon.

"Kunlun, the Powers-at-be might not like your solutions to any of these outcomes, will you accept their judgement if they don't? I've never known anyone to bend the rules as much as you do in this place."

"Yes My Lord Black Robe, I am prepared to accept what they have already discussed with me. I knew that my holiday wasn't far away, but I wanted to finish what I'd started first, and they are allowing me to do that, so there is nothing to worry about. I suggest that it's time for you to stay with Yunlan for a small break, My Lord."

Black Robe left the Enigma Room and approached Zhao Yunlan while being aware of his numb state of mind, knowing that it was the best time for him to merge and would cause less upset, therefore when alarms started sounding out in the ward elsewhere, the staff never noticed that Shen Wei's visitor had collapsed and fallen over his bed. Yunlan was aware of the cold tingling feeling which crept up from his feet, flowing through his legs to his hips and slowed down a little when it reached his waist before approaching his wounded heart.

"I know it's you, I'm alright, finish what you have to do and then we'll talk." Yunlan told him quietly and then the sensation carried on and finished after it had reached his head. Yunlan sat up slowly and took a deep breath in, realising that he didn't really feel any different except for the voice which spoke to him explaining what had happened to the new host who was in a side room in this ward, not too far away.