Part 6

Shen Wei liked Yunlan very much, he seemed to care about his well-being he thought, as he leaned over to reach the small table with his empty mug but missed, and it shattered as it hit the floor. Wei couldn't believe he was so clumsy, orange juice all over the table this morning and now a broken mug, since when was he so inept. He stood up and stepped over the mess to fetch a brush but didn't get very far when a sharp spike of pain filled his mind and his knees gave way as he sank to the floor clutching his head, while he leaned forward and wailed with tears beginning to form.

Yunlan had left the kitchen and was on his way back when he heard the mug smash and ran towards the study. He could hear the sound of Wei in agony and barged straight in where he found him kneeling on the floor holding his head, while he rocked and cried with pain. Yunlan instantly called a guard and knelt down cradling Wei in his arms as he moaned continuously into his shoulder while he was clinging to Yunlan for support.

"Where's the nearest doctor, or have we got anything to knock him out?"

Yunlan demanded as he held Wei firmly, trying to stop him rocking. He was too occupied with Wei to see the guard vanish, and the next thing he knew, Chu was kneeling beside him to help. He wrapped two of his dark green medical strings around Wei's neck and placed his hands on either side of his head, while Yunlan held onto him. He didn't know what Chu was doing but it seemed to be working, causing Wei to slow down his movements as he became calm and dissolved into Yunlan's arms when he passed out.

Chu helped lift Shen Wei from the floor and lay him down on the sofa while he asked what had happened, and Yunlan explained how he had found him, but he had questions of his own for Chu.

"What exactly did you just do to him? It's nothing I've ever seen before, and you look as though you have experience as a medic," he asked but wasn't sure if he was going to believe the answer.

"We're at that point again, either you believe or you don't. I am a medic, actually a doctor, a herbalist. I can produce strings from my hands in different colours for different purposes. Green is medical, yellow is sleep, blue is defence and I'm not going to go through all the colours, just watch."

Chu answered with a touch of anger as he sent a blue string towards the desk to lift a pen, and brought it back before giving it to Yunlan and the string vanished. He was becoming annoyed with his attitude of disbelief.

"Alright I believe you, but just now I'm more concerned about Wei, has he had that kind of pain before? If not, why now? I figured out this morning that his orange juice was drugged. It was the delivery boy, who was a replacement, and I asked Ava to cancel the order, but I don't know if she's done it yet. Could it have been related?"

"Stay with Wei just now, I'll go and ask Ava, it could be another reaction we just haven't seen before, but I hope not."

Chu left Yunlan sitting on the side of the sofa watching this gentle person who had worked his way into his life and he didn't want him to suffer any more pain just because he was an obstacle in someone's way. It all began when Wei had started on his plans to build on the old college grounds. The article Yunlan read didn't give a reason why the college had failed, but he would look into that when he had time. Also how would the news travel about Wei's plans, if he owned the grounds already, he wouldn't need to apply for planning permission would he?