Chapter 25: Hawks angst

"Next up is some angst again." The dimension princess says.

The tension in the room grows, everyone readies themselves.

Hawks' journey under the Commission's tutelage begins with the promise of heroism, a dream for any child with a quirk that could be honed for greatness. However, the reality of this promise quickly unravels into a regime of rigorous, often punishing, training sessions designed not just to refine his skills but to mold his very essence into the Commission's ideal weapon.

The revelation of Hawks' harrowing journey from a child prodigy to a hero under the Hero Commission's stringent and often cruel tutelage sends ripples of shock, empathy, and determination through the intertwined lives of Class 1-A, the League of Villains, and the next generation of heroes and allies. Each group, while distinct in their ideologies and experiences, finds common ground in their reactions to Hawks' story—a narrative that exposes the darker undercurrents of hero society.

The students of Class 1-A, many of whom idolize professional heroes, are confronted with a stark reality that challenges their perceptions of heroism. Midoriya, always empathetic and deeply reflective about the nature of heroism, feels a mix of anger and sorrow. "We're taught to fight for justice and protect others," he muses, "but who protects heroes like Hawks from those who are supposed to support them?"

Todoroki, no stranger to the pressures of living up to an ideal, finds a painful resonance in Hawks' story. His own experiences with his father, Endeavor, and the expectations placed upon him lend him a unique perspective. "It's a systemic issue," Todoroki states, his voice steady but heavy. "We need to ensure no one else goes through what Hawks did."

Uraraka and Iida, both deeply caring and motivated by a strong sense of justice, express a desire to take action, to advocate for reforms within the hero system that prioritize the well-being and autonomy of heroes over their utility as weapons or symbols.

For the League, Hawks' story is less a revelation and more a confirmation of the corruption they believe festers at the heart of hero society.

Hato's reaction to discovering the treatment of his mother, Keigo, by the Hero Commission is a complex interweaving of shock, empathy, and a burgeoning resolve. Growing up in the shadow of his mother's legacy, Hato has always seen Keigo as a figure of strength and resilience, the epitome of heroism. However, learning about the depth of manipulation, control, and pain that Keigo endured under the guise of grooming for perfection shatters some of the foundational beliefs Hato held about the hero society and his place within it.

Upon learning the truth, Hato's initial reaction is one of disbelief. "They did what to you?" he asks, his voice cracking with a mixture of shock and the beginnings of anger. The idea that his mother, the hero he's looked up to all his life, was subjected to such treatment—physical alterations, suppression of natural behaviors, and psychological manipulation—is hard for him to grasp.

As the reality of the situation settles in, Hato experiences a whirlwind of emotions. There's a profound sadness for what Keigo had to endure, a sorrow for the moments of joy and self-expression that were stolen from him in the Commission's quest to create a 'perfect' hero.

Hato's empathy for his mother deepens as he considers the implications of Keigo's experiences on his own life. He begins to understand the sacrifices and the pain hidden behind Keigo's public persona, the smiles and the accolades. It brings them closer, this shared knowledge of Keigo's vulnerability, allowing Hato to see his mother not just as a hero, but as a person who has faced and overcome incredible adversity.

"I can't believe you went through all that... and still managed to be there for us," Hato says, his respect for Keigo deepening. The conversation becomes a moment of connection, bridging the gap between the hero Hawks and Keigo, the parent Hato loves and admires.