A Duel to Remember Part III

Chapter 40

(filler between episodes 130 and 131)

Part III

          The duel between Yusei and Hanako was slowly reaching its peak, building up the tension which was just waiting to explode and shower everyone with shock and surprise. Yusei's field was now ready as everyone was anticipating his next move, wondering what kind of a monster he was about to summon with only level 1 Turbo Synchron on his field. He must have something up his sleeve but no one has yet discovered what it may be.

"Are you ready, Baby?"

          "When will you stop calling me like that?" Hanako asked with a slice of irritation in her voice. It wasn't his attitude that triggered her but rather the lack of memories that were still lying in Z-One's hands, and she was finding it hard to believe Yusei's will was so confident and strong.

But instead of being affected by her question, he just smirked knowing he was already on the right way to making Hanako remember everything. Thus, he decided to drop her a hint, "I know you're aware of my plan!"

          "Oh, really?" She let out a humph through a chuckle, rolling her eyes in disbelief; acting paradoxical to her own state where reactions of her body would contradict the confusion her mind was sensing.

"You know I'm not going to use my Stardust Dragon!"

          Although it was exactly what she expected, Hanako did not take his words so well and they made her uneasy. Her hands started shaking and she had to tighten the grip around her holders, revving up the engine to encourage herself, "So what? Without your dragon, there is no other monster that can keep up with my deck!"

"That's what you think!"

          His words made Hanako even more confused now as she fell into the depths of her thoughts. She instinctively started analysing his field, trying to figure out what was going on in his crazy mind. He has only Turbo Synchron level 1 on his field and can't do much – it's what she thought. "And what can that little fella do, Yusei?"

"You'll see now!" He added quickly before activating his trap card, "Synchro Material!"

          "That allows you to use my monster to Synchro Summon!" Hanako said, now even more confused at what he was trying to do and to support her addlement, she raised an eyebrow.

"That's right! And I choose Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier", he pointed his finger at her monster, her Tiger King who now walked to his side of the field.

          "Level 6 Aqua-type monster tuned with level 1 tuner monster", Hanako mumbled, trying to think of a card that required those conditions of synchro summoning when her eyes widened the moment the truth hit her, "Impossible!" Her voice trembled like a reed shaken by the wind, unable to keep stillness. "I know only one... Dragon... That can be summoned that way".

"Clustering crystal wishes open the door to the closed heart and bring the truth to the light", Yusei started his chant, summoning the beast he has been hiding from everyone, betting his entire duel on this monster only.

          "Could it be... he is..."

"Synchro Summon! Roar through the cold darkness, Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (ATK 2 500 / DEF 1 700)!"

          "Gungnir?!?" Everyone exclaimed in unison while watching a mighty dragon soar its wings and breathe icy fire across the arena, awakening soft trembles under their skin. Even the sound of its roars felt scary, echoing cries of pain as if the dragon was hurting, screaming for someone to rescue it.