The Last Ray of Hope

Chapter 34

(filler Chapter between episodes 110 and 118)

          Keeping up with Yusei's speed was not an easy task for Crow and Jack that day, when they followed him to the Neo Domino Hospital in attempt to check on Hanako and see what happened to her during the electricity outage. Their runners were fast, gliding over the destroyed streets of Neo Domino city, but Yusei was far from being seen in the distance, so all Jack and Crow could do was just keep driving towards their goal, until they finally reached the hospital. Inside, rushing through the hallways of the building, Jack and Crow were focused on finding their way to Hanako's room, but halfway through that attempt, one familiar face showed before their eyes.

"Jack, Crow...?" Aki muttered in surprise after she saw her friends in the hospital, standing right in front of her, what pushed a wide smile over her face, "You came to visit me?"

          "Y-Yeah", Crow mumbled weakly, completely caught by her smile, while scratching the back of his neck with the soft crimson blush decorating his face. He was so lost around her aura that he completely forgot why he was in the hospital in the first place.

"No", Jack threw indifferently right after Crow, moving his eyes from his friend to Aki, seeing how her face fell at his strict and cold voice, "We followed Yusei to check on Hanako, but nice to see you too, Aki!" He added, just to remove that sadness from her face, but it didn't help.

          "So Yusei is also in the hospital too?" Aki muttered in response, feeling her heart skipped a beat when she spelled his name.

"Wait, you haven't seen him?" Crow's eyebrows rose at her words, finding it hard to believe she hasn't seen Yusei, especially because he knew how she felt about him and was watching his every step just to follow him whenever. To him, it seemed as if she was able to see Yusei from the Moon, so he kept looking at her, waiting for her answer, but his female friend just shook her head.

          "Strange", Jack muttered, sharing Crow's idea of Aki's obsession with Yusei.

"Yeah", Aki nodded her head, unaware of the reason Jack said what he said, deciding to just change the subject, "What happened to Hanako, anyway? I saw her in a coma..."

          "It's a long story", Jack just said coldly, not feeling in the mood to go over that story again.

"I have time!" Crow answered angrily, piercing Jack with his eyes, while pouting his lips.

          "Perfect", Jack smirked, hitting Crow's back with his palm, causing his friend to lose his balance and step closer to Aki, "Then I will leave you two lovebirds to chirp, while I go look around for Yusei!" He added, but before Aki and Crow were able to say something, he was already gone; leaving Aki and Crow to blush at each other and talk. He had better things to do in his life than chitchat with girls, especially overly obsessed ones, while all he could think about was how overly concerned Yusei was about Hanako's state, what made him worry about his little foster sister more than he was used to.

"She is stable", Jack suddenly heard a voice coming from the corner of the hallway, so he took his turn, listening to the male voice, while following it. "The hospital has a backup generator that kicked in to supply electricity, when the outage happened!" Jack looked in front of him, once he moved to the hallway on the left, seeing the doctor talking to Yusei, "Our generators are tested weakly, but just in case we came to the room to check on her!"

          "And...?"

"Her condition is still the same", doctor explained, while Jack slowly moved towards him, "She is still not showing any signs of life", he added, looking at the room, before he moved his eyes back to Yusei.