back to camp again

Words: 1748

I woke up to Bellamy shaking me awake. I gasped and sat up quickly, not familiar with my surroundings at first.

I looked up and saw Bellamy standing above me. "Come on, I think the fog has cleared," he said, nodding his head in the direction of the cave entrance.

Charlotte was already awake and the two of them were waiting on me. I nodded and stood, stretching my limbs and shaking out the tightness in my muscles. Charlotte and I followed Bellamy to the cave opening, who was making sure it was safe.

"It's all clear," Bellamy said to the two of us. "Anybody out here? Jones?" he called out.

"We're here!" I heard Jones call from somewhere in the woods.

The three of us walked through the woods until we spotted them. We stood there and waited for a moment to see if anyone else was coming.

"Lost you in the stew. Where'd you go?" Bellamy asked Jones.

"We made it to a cave down there. The hell was that?" the boy asked us.

"I don't know," Bellamy replied with a shrug before looking over the group. "Where's Atom?"

Jones shrugged and we all looked at each other in a panic. We walked through the woods, quickly looking for Atom. Charlotte started screaming from ahead so Bellamy and I took off in her direction.

The two of us reached Charlotte and my eyes widened at the sight. I pulled her to my chest to hide her view as Bellamy walked up.

"Son of a bitch... Atom," Bellamy said, rushing towards his friend laying on the ground, kneeling over him.

Charlotte and I walked up to Bellamy slowly as the others from our group reached us. Atom began choking in pain.

"I... can't... breathe," he said to us.

Charlotte pulled her knife out of her pocket and handed it to Bellamy. "Don't be afraid," she told him, quoting his words from the cave.

Bellamy looked at the others around us. "Go back to camp," he said, making them leave.

Bellamy then looked pointedly at Charlotte. "Charlotte, you, too."

The young girl nodded and headed in the direction of camp. Bellamy looked at me next and I shook my head.

"I'll stay with you," I told him.

Bellamy sighed, but nodded as he bent back down to lean over Atom again. I kneeled down beside him.

"Kill... me..." Atom begged us.

Bellamy was hesitating, staring at Atom with a conflicted look on his face. Atom looked at Bellamy with pleading eyes.

"Bellamy... Stella, please," he begged us again.

Bellamy looked at me with a frown before glancing back at the boy dying in front of us. I had a tears in my eyes as I grabbed his hand that held the knife. Bellamy then looked back up at me, so I smiled softly at him.

"We can do it together," I whispered.

Bellamy hesitated, but nodded reluctantly.

I hummed a lullaby my mother used to sing to Finn and I when we were kids as I guided our hands to Atom's neck.

I gently but quickly pushed the knife into his skin, killing him quickly. I exhaled sharply and looked over at Bellamy.

Bellamy had tears in his eyes and nodded at me slightly. I returned the nod and we stood up.