not alone

Words: 1762

Our group continued walking for a while before coming up to some bushes with pretty flowers on them. Finn picked one and tucked it behind Octavia's ear, causing a blush to appear on her cheeks.

"You're disgusting," I gagged at my brother, who flipped me off.

"That, my friend, is game," Jasper said to Monty.

"That, my friend, is poison sumac," Monty responded.

Octavia quickly bat the flower out of her hair. "What? It is?" she asked panicked.

"The flowers aren't poisonous. They're medicinal. Calming, actually," Monty said before picking a flower and popping it into his mouth, causing a strange look to appear on mine, Finn and Octavia's faces.

"His family grows all the pharmaceuticals on the Ark," Jasper informed us.

"Ah, makes sense now," I replied with a small nod of my head.

"Hey, guys, would you try to keep up?" Clarke called out.

"Come on, Clarke. How do you block all of this out?" Finn asked, spinning in a circle.

"Well, it's simple. I wonder, 'why haven't we seen any animals?' Maybe it's because there are none. Maybe we've already been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. Sure is pretty, though," Clarke responded softly.

"Someone should slip her some poison sumac," I muttered, making Jasper snort.

"Alright, I got to know what you two did to get busted," Finn asked the two friends as he walked backwards.

"Sumac is not the only herb in the garden, if you know what I mean," Monty told my brother with a grin.

"Yeah, and someone forgot to replace what we took," Jasper quipped.

"Someone has apologized, like, a thousand times," Monty replied.

"What about you, Octavia? What'd they get you for?" Jasper asked her.

My best friend snorted and rolled her eyes. "Being born," she said before walking ahead of us.

I frowned at my friend, her story so similar to my own.

"That is so not game," Monty said to Jasper before looking at me. "What about you, Stella? What's your story?"

I inhaled a breath before slowly releasing it. "Well, if you couldn't guess, Finn is my little brother. I hid myself away for years so he could have a normal life," I said with a shrug.

"That's nice of you to do for him," Jasper said in awe.

I blushed as I shrugged, not liking the attention.

The six of us kept walking until we came to a clearing and Clarke told us to hush before pointing. I stared in awe as I saw the deer in front of us.

"No animals, huh?" Finn asked as we watched the deer.

He stepped forward, stepping on and cracking a branch beneath his foot. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hand when I saw the other side of the deer's head. There was another snout coming out of the side of its head, like it had another face. It took off running and we all shook off the disgust before we kept on our way.

A short while later, Finn brought up a good point.

"You know what I'd like to know? Why send us down today after ninety-seven years? What changed?" he asked.

The group of us looked between each other in confusion.

"Who cares?" Octavia said as she walked backwards in front of us. "I'm just glad they did. I woke up rotting in a cell and now I'm spinning in a forest," she said, spreading her arms out and spinning in a circle.